New 125 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bmac1972

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am almost ready to upgrade from my 72 bow front to the new 125. I have a couple questions... I plan on using the same canister filter on new tank... Also plan on using the 80 plus lbs of holey rock... Is this enough to help not have to re cycle tank?.. Do I need to transfer some water?.. Was not planning on using old gravel...thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes it will help I would use as all the 72g water use the same filter and the Same rocks like your planning it doesn't cycle the tank but its way faster

I am almost ready to upgrade from my 72 bow front to the new 125. I have a couple questions... I plan on using the same canister filter on new tank... Also plan on using the 80 plus lbs of holey rock... Is this enough to help not have to re cycle tank?.. Do I need to transfer some water?.. Was not planning on using old gravel...thanks in advance!

Move the filter and rock. If your stock is staying the same in the beginning it will instant cycle the tank. Just don't let the filter media dry out. 90% of the BB is in the filter so no need to move the gravel or water. I have done this several times with no problems. I do recommend you test a few times just to be 100% sure.

The stock will stay the same until I know all is good.Thanks!

If you move the water as well, like suggested above, it will be almost like a water change and should go well

Fill with new water. Move filters and fish over. Make sure the new tank is the same temp as old tank. Leave all the old water behind.

Move was successful !!! Thanks for all the advice!!

Back
Top Bottom