new 150 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonny2007

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am trading my 30gal for a 150gal, great deal i know!
I would like to use sand for the substrait, black or pool,
I already have two JDs and i would like to get one or two more,
what other fish could i have with this setup?

Congrats on the new tank and going from a 30g to a 150g seems huge until you have full grown JD's around 12". Attempting to keep 3/4 JD's would be a aggressive train wreck. Your best bet is a male and female and some smaller dithers or a couple of smaller central american cichlids like HRP's.

thats what i was thinking, i really would like an EBJD, paird with a Jd, the others i would rehome, with a friend (he has experience) and my lfs. What kind of dither fish work well?

My babies, Jack and Dianne, I hope!

Attachments

• image-3239314439.jpg
    image-3239314439.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 147
  • image-422592398.jpg
    image-422592398.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 144
If your going to have a EBJD I would count out other cichlids, they are extremely slow growers and terribly shy around larger and more aggressive fish.

Dithers like giant danios, congo tetras, and silver dollars work well.

If I wanted to get a grow out tank an EBJD how big would it need to be, would it be ok to introduce it to the community tank later?

I have a BGJD/EBJD pair in a tank and they are great together, I do catch them doing the lip lock every now and again, but have never seen any damage. For an idea of growout rate, I bought my EBJD at around 3" and around the same time got a group of BGJD fry that were about dime size. Within 6 months the fry had surpassed the EBJD in size, and now the EBJD is around 5" and some of the BGJD males are 7" or so.

I've never attempted to keep mine with large dithers, but I probably will once I move the pair into a bigger display tank. I've tried keeping him around smaller stuff, small danios, etc, but he just treats them like feeders.

With I hope a jd, and some others that can survive and won't kill them, have a placo and some corys already, and a dwarf gourami (he is going to move with my current tank).

I finally got the tank and cleaned it up, I'm starting up my cycle, been seeding my filters for a while for a kick start, just have to decorate and move my little buddies to their Mansion, :)

Back
Top Bottom