New 40 breeder build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TigerBarbs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys! It's been a while since I've been in freshwater but I'm going back! I just don't have the time(or money :) to put into a reef tank anymore so I'm going back to fresh! I plan on a 40 breeder or maybe a 38 not sure yet. I'm tired of the smaller fish so I'm going to start with a small Oscar until he outgrows the tank and then some other cichlids. I've always wanted an Oscar so here's my chance! And yes I know they need a larger tank so ill only let him get 8 inches or so before he moves. I will be starting this build after I get back from lake okeechobee on Thursday. I have to sell all my saltwater stuff first but I'm super excited for this! Any Oscar tips and other cichlids tips would be appreciated!

I have a 40 breeder.

The good thing about he tank is that it has a good footprint.
Not the best length, but good width.
If u dont alreay have the tank, i would say get a 75.
U get the width of a 40 gallon, but 4ft long, and will fit the oscar for life.
If u do have the 40, the one thing i can say is dont slack on your wc's. i do 50% weekly, and i have 600gph of filtration on mine. This keeps the water crystal clear.
I think sand would work well with the oscar. It will make alot easier to clean the tank substrate.
Heres a pic of mine

Attachments

• image-2220689173.jpg
    image-2220689173.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 90
Nice tank! I wish I could go with a 75 but I can't because I have no where to put it haha!

sorry to say, but if you don't have the room for at least a 75, don't get an Oscar. in my opinion a single full grown Oscar will need a 75 to itself. also an Oscar can realistically reach 8 inches in 8-10months, I would just save the money and get a bigger setup to start, or choose a different fish.

I'm just gonna get one to start, I don't see a problem with it until he gets too big and then I'll get rid of him like I said in the beginning of the thread

Back
Top Bottom