New 40 gallon cichlid aquarium coming soon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

themartins

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had several successful freshwater aquariums, but I'm a novice when it comes to cichlids. What cichlids would do well in a planted aquarium?

Most love plant life my favorite are either the jack Dempsey they recognize your face and beg at feeding time I suggest a pair of them

By "love plant life", do you mean they love to eat it? I havent heard of any cichlids that dont tear up plants....

Cichlids like to redecorate the tank. Mine move the gravel and uproot what plants are in the tank like they are searching for buried treasure. I have never seen them eat a plant though

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

Angels, rams, keyholes, firemouths, apistos, and discus are about the only ones I've seen people have repeatedly good luck in a planted tank with. Most other sa/ca cichlids are hit or miss... Africans, for the most part, will destroy plants like nothing.

Mf is right. I put small plants with my Africans they destroyed them. However they didn't touch the more long bushy fern things. Don't know the name but they don't really have leafs.

Any cichlid can be hit or miss. We have JDs that don't touch plants or dig where as our mated pair of firemouths destroy their tank within an hour of cleaning and fixing their previous mess. Some people say they've had trouble with some of the dwarf cichlids like kribs and rams or even angelfish digging up plants, I still have yet to have that issue.

MFD has given you good suggestions, although I would not personally recommend a firemouth for a planted tank. Mine was always a digger. To add to the list, check out Nannacara anomala, Laetacara curviceps, Archocentrus multispinosus, Laetacara dorsigera.

Most love plant life my favorite are either the jack Dempsey they recognize your face and beg at feeding time I suggest a pair of them

Not for a 40 gallon...

Back
Top Bottom