New 55 Gal for Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AliGee

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all! There are so many threads like this so I apologize. I am an experienced aquarist, but am completely new to the cichlid world. I bought a 55 gallon and want it to be a show tank. I am having a hard time deciding (and knowing) what fish are fine to mix together. I do know I want a male only tank.

I really love Oscars and Flowehorn but that will have to wait until I have a bigger tank.

I do want a "centerpiece" fish, and I was thinking a severum. What else would go with a severum and would be very colorful?

I also love the giraffe cichlids but I think they need to be in shoals and would need a bigger tank?

I wanted discus, but everywhere talks about how "difficult" they are because of their needy water requirements. What would six discus require ? A sump? Or just a canister filter with frequent cleanings?

Any fun and colorful ideas are welcome. I am willing to spend money on exotics to make it look amazing.

THANK YOU!!!!

❤️ Invertebrates
Electric Blue Crayfish | CPO Crayfish | Shrimp

If you want a cichlid that can hang out with other community fish a single severum should be good in a 55.

Severum are usually surprisingly tolerant of other fish and can even be kept with tetras.

A severum, a shoal of colorful tetras and a shoal of Biotodoma cupido would make for a nice tank.

Discus are really not that hard to keep as long as they are not wild caught. What they need is a few things.
- Large frequent water changes
- Tank mates that won't over compete for food and allow them to feed
- An appropriate diet
- Soft/Moderate hardness, Acidic to Neutral water

That being said, I would not keep discus in a 55g aquarium. A full adult discus is the size of a dinner plate.

Thanks for the response! What about peacock cichlids with a severum? Would that me too much in a 55?

❤️ Invertebrates
Electric Blue Crayfish | CPO Crayfish | Shrimp

I would not combine peacocks and severum. If you want peacocks you could try an all male peacock tank. A 55 is on the small side for this though.

You could also do an mbuna tank if color is your priority.

A South American tank is going to be very different that an Afican Malawian in terms of behavior. The SA fish tend to be a little more relaxed and interactive where the Africans tend to be a lot more active.

This is just personal opinion but I prefer watching the behavior of SA/CA cichlids over the mindless chasing of mbuna. I often refer to mbuna as the "gateway cichlid" :)

Back
Top Bottom