New 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The boring name

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm setting up a 55 gallon at a unheated shop. It's going to be a Malawi setup. Lots of rocks. Going to have a emperor 400 for now and add maybe a canister or a 350 later. Going to have a load of heaters lol. A 50 watt. 100 watt. And a 200 watt. Going to add another 200 or 300 later To keep it warm during the winter. Should I add lids to keep heat in? Any problems you see? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How cold is the shop? For aesthetic reasons I'd go with max 2 heaters just so it doesn't look so crowded with hardware. Or get external heaters? Does the room temp fluctuate much?

I live in Charlotte nc. It's not harsh winters but some night it gets below freezing. The shop is usually 20f warmer inside than out at night. And about 10f warmer in the day than outside.

I'm not too familiar with external heaters the only kind I know is hydor brand.

Lol might as well get a space heater.
Why don't you just get a 250 watt would be cheaper than three heaters anyways

Sent from my fish tank

Well we decided we would move it to the office of the shop. It's not heated but is insulated and stays warmer. Help against big swings. The main reason I wanted to jump back in to the cichlids was I found a Lfs selling jalo reefs for 3.99 and yellow labs, red fins for 4.50.

One more question. Could I stick the tank like this.
X2 jalo reef cichlids
X1 yellow lab
X3 red empress 1m 2f
X2 red German peacock
X2 sunshine peacock
X1 sulphur head
X1 red fin b?
Would this stock list work with an emperor 400? I'm planning on a rocky style pushed onto the left side of the tank with a lot of caves. And a more open right side with a few caves and fake plants.

Alright thanks. Everything else check good? I'll be adding more filtration later. I know the emperor is plenty but I just like to over kill my African cichlid and peacock tanks.

Alright thanks. Everything else check good? I'll be adding more filtration later. I know the emperor is plenty but I just like to over kill my African cichlid and peacock tanks.

1 emperor 400 is a far cry from plenty, 2 or 3 would be closer.

Back
Top Bottom