NEW 55 Gallon Cichlid Tank Ideas: HELP!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rileymc

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all!

So I just purchased a 55 gallon aquarium that currently has nothing inside. I plan to have two Marineland 350 BioWheel Filters, a Powerhead for flow and airation, LED Lighted hoods, and a 250 Watt heater. I want to make it an all-cichlid tank.

I do not know about what can be kept together, or much about cichlids because I am new to them. I plan to learn more and more while my tank cycles for a few weeks.

Any stocking plan ideas for me? I am looking for beautiful color, low aggression, and smaller cichlids so I can keep like 12-15 eventually.

What are ideas of a stocking plan? I would like to keep the cost pretty low if possible.

Thanks for all the help!! :)

Since you don't have much experience with cichlids yet, IMO, go with an all Mbuna tank. There are a lot of color choices, and a lot of variety. Try to get a ratio of 1m/3f for each species, or for even more color, you can do an all male tank. Most of the Labidochromis and Iodotropheus species are good beginner fish. If you do a 1m/3f tank, you can probably do 3 different species as long as you provide adequate caves and crevasses for territories. There's an excellent article in Aquarium USA 2015 by Iggy Tavares on building a Mbuna biotype tank. Perhaps you can find it online.

Back
Top Bottom