New 75g stock/build thread. Need advice please!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chi_Cichlid

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello Fellow Fish Lovers!! :fish2:

After countless hours of reading through forums, mainly this one of course, :D and extensive research online and watching basically every YouTube video out there, I have decided that I want an all male show tank. After seeing these beauties at my LFS, I knew I had to get some of these bad boys!

Now I know a 6ft tank would work best for these guys, but I ultimately decided on a 4ft tank due to size constraints at my place. Also, I was able to grab a brand new 75g (48.5 x 18.5 x 21.2), with a stand, glass tops, and a regular T8 strip light. I had the option to upgrade my lighting to a Finnex Ray 2 LED fixture for $80, (2 rows of 7k), so of course I did that. (y) I may use the Finnex for my planted 55g community, and use the fixture that's currently on that tank, which is a 3 Bulb T5HO Catalina fixture for the 75. Thoughts?

All in all, I ended up paying just under $500 for everything. Now I know I could have found a used tank with the same setup (minus the light fixture), for cheaper, probably not by that much, but I wanted everything to be new, for sanitary purposes, so I opted to go this route.

Now for the fun stuff. I broke this part up into sections for easier reading.

COSMETICS/AQUASCAPE:
I plan to put on a black background. I'll either paint it on, or I'll just use trash bags cuz I'm lazy haha.

I plan to use roughly 70-80lbs of pool filter sand, unless someone here thinks I'd be better off using all 100lbs. The sand comes in 50lb bags. If I don't use all the sand, I may use the remainder for a 10g QT tank.

I plan to use river rock, as this will closely resemble their natural habitat, however, I may use different rocks depending on what's available at my local landscaping place. Anybody have any suggestions for rocks I can/should use?

How many lbs of rock do you think I would need for a 75g?

FILTRATION:
This tank will be running an AquaTop CF500 canister filter, and I will be moving my AC110 HOB from my 55 planted community tank. I also plan to grab a sponge filter to use for my QT tank, which I will leave in the 75 and pull out when I need to. If I do this, do I need to clean the sponge filter before putting it back into the 75?

Basically, if I use the sponge filter for my QT, and need to medicate, then wouldn't this negatively affect the 75 when I put the sponge filter back in? I do have an Aqueon QuietFlow 30 and QuietFlow10 laying around, so I could use either of those instead.

I will also add a powerhead, for more surface agitation, and because these guys just seem to enjoy the flow.

Now for the most important part........

STOCKING!

I made up a list of fish I would like to try and keep (1 male each). Please let me know your thoughts, suggestions, or concerns that you may have. Any fish not listed, that you think I may like, and can work, please let me know as well!

I plan to order fish online, so any recommendation on vendors would be much appreciated. Or, if you have fish you are looking to sell, LET ME KNOW!

*All scientific names may not be correct *

75G SETUP :fish1:
  • OB Peacock Hybrid
  • Aulonocara Baenschi Benga/maleri – “BENGA/YELLOW REGAL/SUNSHINE” NOT SURE IF I WANT ONE OF EACH OR JUST THE BENGA. I HEARD THEY ARE REALLY SIMILAR. TRUE OR FALSE?
  • Aulonocara Sp – “DRAGON’S BLOOD”
  • Aulonocara Mamela – “LEMON JAKE”
  • Aulonocara Maulana- “BI-COLOR 500”
  • Protomelas Spilonatus – “SULFUR HEAD”
  • Protomelas Fenestratus – “TAIWAN REEF”
  • Protomelas Taeniolatus – “TANGERINE TIGER”
  • Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi - “EUREKA RED/GERMAN RED”
  • Aulonocara sp. "RED TOP LWANDA"
  • 3-4 Synodontis Multipunctatus/Lucipinnis/Petricola (only one species)
  • 1-2 Plecos (Bushy/Bristlenose, Clown etc.)
  • Cynotilapia zebroides (not sure if he will be compatible) - and I know he is from different part of the lake. Just LOVE the coloration of these guys.

I know this post is REALLY long, so thank you for taking the time to read through it all! Also, thank you in advance for your advice/support. :thanks:

I will be sure to add pictures
throughout my build! :dance:

So it looks like I won't be adding/updating this thread at all, as it seems no one is interested in my build. Thank anyways for those who at least viewed it.

Bristlenose would be ok, but the clown plecos will be a toss up. Love your stock list :)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you Coursair and Dixiegirl for your info/advice! Most likely going to just go with the Synos. Do you think 3-4 Synos will be too many with 10-15 cichlids?

*Update

Tank has been set up as of last night. Will update with pics hopefully some time tomorrow.

Let the journey begin!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not in a 75 gallon. Synos usually stay at the bottom so having 4 with your stock list should be fine. None of those cichlids get over 7" so you're good.

As the stocking goes, I have no idea. Just remember to place the rocks then poor in the sand for stability

Not in a 75 gallon. Synos usually stay at the bottom so having 4 with your stock list should be fine. None of those cichlids get over 7" so you're good.

Okay sounds good. I'll probably be picking some up sometime next week.

As the stocking goes, I have no idea. Just remember to place the rocks then poor in the sand for stability

Hey cg thanks for your post! I did indeed place my rocks in first before the sand. I actually tried moving one rock, but it was buried so deep I couldn't. I guess I'll just have to move the sand around it first.

Do you know how many lbs of rock I can safely add to the 75? I have about 100-125lbs right now, all big rocks, but want to add a few small rocks as well.

Thanks in advance!

*update

Still not happy with the rock work. I basically went to my local landscaping place and bought what they had. Any suggestions?

I'm thinking of getting some smaller rocks to balance out the scape, build more hiding spots, and to add some depth. Anyways.....here it is.

Attachments

• 1400765008671.jpg
    1400765008671.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 157
Can any one tell me how many lbs of rock would be too many? FYI, there is no extra support like egg crate under the rocks. Thanks!

Go visit your local hardware store or automotive store and buy a can of plastidip and paint the back of the tank with it. It comes in a can like spray paint. However if you want to remove it you just peel it off. Lay the tank down on its front side. Paint the back with a few coats and let it sit for a day or so. You won't regret it!

Go visit your local hardware store or automotive store and buy a can of plastidip and paint the back of the tank with it. It comes in a can like spray paint. However if you want to remove it you just peel it off. Lay the tank down on its front side. Paint the back with a few coats and let it sit for a day or so. You won't regret it!

Hey Pel, I'm confused, my tank is already painted black.

Hey Pel, I'm confused, my tank is already painted black.

In your first post you mentioned -

COSMETICS/AQUASCAPE:
I plan to put on a black background. I'll either paint it on, or I'll just use trash bags cuz I'm lazy haha.
If the back of the tank is already painted black then no worries! Just wanted to mention the plastidip since it is easily removable.

*Update

Added a few vals I got from Foster53 on this forum! Hopefully my fish won't uproot them haha. Still need to get more rocks.

Attachments

• 1400860965059.jpg
    1400860965059.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 117
In your first post you mentioned -

If the back of the tank is already painted black then no worries! Just wanted to mention the plastidip since it is easily removable.

Ahh haha my apologies. Yea I actually just picked up some oil based paint from my local hardware store and applied 2-3 coats of that. Thank you for the advice though, much appreciated!

Hey do you have another updated pic with the finished product? I was going to recommend lace rock for your tank because its a ph buffer and also stacks nicely creating hiding spots and just a really cool visual.

Didn't know if you still weren't happy with your rock work... Have you though about building some caves out of flat slate rocks? Continues the rock theme with a different look to add contrast. It looks great so far! I found this online to try and show what I'm talking about ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407164930.926480.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom