new 75gal! thinking tanganyika...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joel618

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I found a new 75 setup for $125, just add water and fish! Which I think is a good deal but I have to drive 4hrs round trip to get it. If you think it is a good deal let me know so I can better justify it to my lady. Im leaving to pick it up in an hr.

What should I put in it? Im thinking Tanganyika cichlids but kmow very little about them. Im going to set it up beside my 75 Malawi. Suggestions please.

Mbuna and Tangs is becoming more and more common, I vote for Vics!

There are some beautiful fish from lake victoria. I only recently began keeping a malawi tank so I'm still making many discoveries with cichlids lol and already have plans to either switch down the road, or add a vic tank. Don't see that many at my lfs, but they will take requests for most species.

HUKIT said:
Mbuna and Tangs is becoming more and more common, I vote for Vics!

Hukit! Glad to see you back around.

I like comps so that's why I said tangs. Suggestions on good Victorians for a 75?

Think it is a good deal? Will prolly cost me 200 by the time it's said and done. What you think?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120218_165736.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120218_165736.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 72
Up north here that is average money depending on what else is included, like filters,lights, and other items.

My favorite Vics include Xystichromis sp. "Kyoga flameback" and Species Profiles -- Cichlid-Forum, here is a good link to some of these fish,

Malawi and Victorian Cichlids

Just keep in mind from my experience these fish are on a different level of aggression than most fish from Malawi or Tanganyika, male tofemale ratios are critical where as most mbuna it's not required.

That's a good price for a complete setup, even with the gas for the round trip. You can fit a group of multi's and a pair of calvus or comp's w/out any problems, but a 3rd substrate-spawning species may be iffy. J. transcriptus would be a good bet, but the larger Julies may be a bit hard on the shellies. Buescheri aren't too nasty, but leleupi would definitely be hard on tankmates.
A 75 isn't a good size for Cyp's, but you could get by with some O. ventralis featherfins.
If you like Tropheus a group of 12 or so would work as a species tank.

The more I look, the more I want:(

Attachments

• Alluaudi_M150.jpg
    Alluaudi_M150.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 59
I love the ventralis, foai and furcifer (featherfins) but they should really be in a 6 foot tank minimum. They like to swim. I'd suggest calvus or some gold head compressiceps. Another option would be brichardis and some shellies. Or better yet get some shell dwelling compressiceps, at least I think they were comps but they may have been calvus.

Back
Top Bottom