New 80 Gallon Set Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrb305

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Last weekend the wife and I bought an 80 gallon bow front with the intentions of upgrading our guppy we had in a 2.5 gallon tank, and then starting a community tropical tank. With that in mind, I also purchased a Fluval 406 canister filter. No sooner did I cycle the tank and put the little guppy in, did the wife change her mind. She would like to wait til the guppy dies (or put him back in his little tank) and start a cichlid tank.

My dilema now is will the Fluval 406 be sufficient for a cichlid tank, or should I go through the PITA process of returning the 406 in favor of the Fluval FX5 / FX6?

Also, how many cichlids do you recommend for an 80G bow front?

The tank dimensions are:

48" L x 12.5" W x 27" H

The filter will be fine for some time depending on what kind of cichlids your planning on doing.? You may want to add a hob filter within the specs of a aqua clear 110.

This link will help you look at different types of fish along with some stocking recommendations. Once you figure out what kind then we can help further.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cookie_cutter_75g.php

Good luck and happy researching

I'd skip the 406, then save your pennies on the FX6 and get the FX5 off Amazon or Fleabay.

With regards to the stocking question without knowing which type of cichlids your looking at a answer can't be given yet. Deciding on which continent is a good start, such as central or south american or Rift lake is generally the first obstacle.

Back
Top Bottom