New 90g biotope setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nothing

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'm hopefully buying a 90g tank off Kijiji in the coming weeks, and id like to make a lightly planted amazon biotope tank. The only fer sure fish I have so far is an 11" common pleco (saved it from my girlfriends 20g) and some neon tetras. I have 8 neons in my 10g until the tank is ready, then ill be getting more. I'm interested in either having some Bolivian rams or earth eaters, I'm really open to any cichlids from that area besides angelfish and discus. If anyone has any ideas feel free to throw out some suggestions. How large of a school of tetras should I have if I want two schools, about 12-15 each? And what's a good number of cichlids to add? Thanks! :)

So I'm hopefully buying a 90g tank off Kijiji in the coming weeks, and id like to make a lightly planted amazon biotope tank. The only fer sure fish I have so far is an 11" common pleco (saved it from my girlfriends 20g) and some neon tetras. I have 8 neons in my 10g until the tank is ready, then ill be getting more. I'm interested in either having some Bolivian rams or earth eaters, I'm really open to any cichlids from that area besides angelfish and discus. If anyone has any ideas feel free to throw out some suggestions. How large of a school of tetras should I have if I want two schools, about 12-15 each? And what's a good number of cichlids to add? Thanks! :)

If you are looking to do a biotope, pick a smaller river. The amazon expanses several countries. Try picking a specific area of a tributary and gong with that, otherwise you're looking at more of a amazon themed tank. A biotope consists only of plants and animals found together in a specific regional area

I've decided to do a Rio Negro biotope. I want a severum, a large school of Buenos Aires Tetras, and a school (if there are any possible) of smaller cichlids to fill out the tank. What other cichlids could I put 4 or 5 of in the tank are there? And if there is none, what are a couple of species of larger cichlids I could add?

i've decided to do a rio negro biotope. I want a severum, a large school of buenos aires tetras, and a school (if there are any possible) of smaller cichlids to fill out the tank. What other cichlids could i put 4 or 5 of in the tank are there? And if there is none, what are a couple of species of larger cichlids i could add?

3-4 geophagus sp. Red head tapajos

Upon further research I've seen that although the BA tetras are larger, they're not always safe with severums. So I was thinking maybe:

1x Severum
1x Blue Acara
2x Dwarf Flag Cichlids
3-4x Red/Orange Head Tapajos
1x Common Pleco

Would this stock list work? Any other suggestions? I may still just try and keep a school of Serpae or BA tetras and see how it goes. It all boils down to the individual fish I happen to get.

Ditch the common, a 90 isn't large enough for that bioload PLUS that of a common. Go for something smaller, like a 3 beacon, green phantom, leopard frog, king tiger, etc

+1. Common plecos grow large and have a high bio load. They need a tank at least 200-300 gallons in my opinion

+1. Common plecos grow large and have a high bio load. They need a tank at least 200-300 gallons in my opinion

I'd say 125-150, a 200-300 gallon is a bit of an exaggeration, and it all depends on the stocking of the tank really. Either way, go with a smaller species. You'll spend more money, but be happier in the long run. I'll look into what species are from the rio negro

Well guys I appreciate the concern for the common and if I had a choice id have something else, but I rescued it from my girlfriends 20g that it was in with three goldfish. It's 9" and now resides in my 37g with my leopard ctenopoma, African butterfly fish, guppy and 5 sailfin mollies. I know that is also overstocked, but things work fine everyone's healthy. Once I can move the 90g into my room the common will be going in there and I have a baby Albino BN to go in the 37. So long story short, unfortunately the common is a must but hey, if it can live with three goldfish in a 20g with once a week water changes I think it'll be fine.

And I can't give the common away either, she loves that thing she's had it for years.

So I've decided I can't quite get the set up I'm looking for with a biotope. So I'm gonna have to loosen it up a bit. Would

1x Red Shouldered Severum
1x Firemouth
1x Convict
4x Geophagus Orange Head Tapajos
8-10x Congo Tetras
1x Common Pleco

work compatibility wise in a 90g?

I'd substitute the amatitlania nigrofasciatus for a cryptoheros species pair, like nanoluteus or sajica. I'd also swap the thorichthys Meeki for one of the other thorichthys species like maculpinnis or aureum

Just googled them and I really like those suggestions, ill definitely look into those. I'm going to the fish store now so ill see what they have. Would that tetra school size be good?

Just googled them and I really like those suggestions, ill definitely look into those. I'm going to the fish store now so ill see what they have. Would that tetra school size be good?

Most normal fish stores won't have some of the rarer species unless you have a good LFS, like mine, but you never know! Good luck

Back
Top Bottom