Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 03-19-2015, 11:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 109
New and need Help.

Hello

New to the site but I have been reading a ton over the last couple weeks as I recently purchased (on impulse of course) a 40 gallon tank and cichlids to go along with it. (3 yellow labs, 1 red zebra, and 1 yellow top jalo, all about 1-1.5")

Didn't know about cycling, but learning real quick. I bought another used tank ( for my son) with all the substrate foam filter and rocks, plant etc and used most of it to help kickstart my 40g cycle which seems to be working; Parameters earlier today were:
Temp 79.8
Ammonia "0"
Nitrite ".25"
Nitrates "20"
Did a 30-40% water change, I am using "Prime" with every water change and doing the PWC every 2-3 days.

The last 2 days I have noticed long white poop coming from my red zebra. They get 3-4" long and it seems as soon as one breaks off another is forming. Tonight one of the yellow labs also had the same looking poop. Everybody seems to be eating without issue and acting as they normally would.

Does this sound like "bloat" or another parasite of some kind?
Do I treat just the fish with symptoms or the whole tank? And with what?
Lastly will the medications affect the cycling process?

Thanks for any and all advice.
Mike
__________________

__________________
mikey5290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:08 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 104
Without diaging your fish woes, (I'll leave it to smarter minds) you are resetting your cycle with pwc every three days and those readings. Defeats the purpose. I don't care for fish in cycling but seriously... Don't use cichlids for it. Some would suggest danios and though they are hardy...idk not right. I wouldn't wanna swim around in ammonia for others to feel better later!!!

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk
__________________

__________________
vapocalyptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:41 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator
 
Autumnsky's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northern Colorado, USA
Posts: 14,007
Here is some solid reading in case you missed it, links below...

Sounds like the fish have parasites, you can get medicated food for them.

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice
__________________
FW & SW
Favorite tank right now - 12G Edge nano fish

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 03:08 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by vapocalyptic View Post
Without diaging your fish woes, (I'll leave it to smarter minds) you are resetting your cycle with pwc every three days and those readings. Defeats the purpose. I don't care for fish in cycling but seriously... Don't use cichlids for it. Some would suggest danios and though they are hardy...idk not right. I wouldn't wanna swim around in ammonia for others to feel better later!!!

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
Here is some solid reading in case you missed it, links below...

Sounds like the fish have parasites, you can get medicated food for them.

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice


I did read the above articles (unfortunately too late) and now I am on the dark side like it or not. As I have learned and read on numerous posts you can't always follow the advice of your LFS.

But....am I doing too many water changes?

I thought I was doing the right thing by upping the amount of times it was being done for the sake of the fish. Or do I just rely on the "prime" to keep the fish semi-safe until the next semi weekly pwc, thereby giving the BB time to colonize?

I will check my LFS for the medicated food selection.
Will I need to treat the tank as well?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks Again
__________________
mikey5290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 03:38 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator
 
Autumnsky's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northern Colorado, USA
Posts: 14,007
For fish health, I don't think too many water changes. You will want to follow the darkside suggestions.

You can injure fish without doing pwc to keep ammonia low. Hardy fish or any fish will be injured by high ammonia. Prime is great to help keep the fish safer.

I haven't had to treat internal parasites (yet)... but follow the directions and do some quick checking for the kinds of meds the lfs might have about messing up your BB.

For the best response, I would do a follow up question specifically for treating with food or medicine dosing the whole tank, while doing a fish in cycle in unhealthy fish.

Welcome to the community!
__________________
FW & SW
Favorite tank right now - 12G Edge nano fish

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 03:42 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
For fish health, I don't think too many water changes. You will want to follow the darkside suggestions.

You can injure fish without doing pwc to keep ammonia low. Hardy fish or any fish will be injured by high ammonia. Prime is great to help keep the fish safer.

I haven't had to treat internal parasites (yet)... but follow the directions and do some quick checking for the kinds of meds the lfs might have about messing up your BB.

For the best response, I would do a follow up question specifically for treating with food or medicine dosing the whole tank, while doing a fish in cycle in unhealthy fish.

Welcome to the community!
Will do,
Thank you
__________________
mikey5290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:29 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Freakgecko91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,399
I have done several fish-in cycles, just don't add more fish, and keep up on your water changes. It's not a super horrible thing to do, and trust me, I deal with animal cruelty every day, I'm an animal control officer lol


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Freakgecko91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 109
Thanks for the reassurance.

Got some meds today---polygard and focus
Soaked some food and I am pretty sure right after they spit it out I saw them give me dirty look.
They tried over and over and over, so hopefully some meds ended up in their bellies. Definitely no lack of appetite.

I never would have thought fish would beg for food, but they have been swimming (pacing) back and forth as if to say where is the regular food??


Crossing my fingers they are back to normal in a few days.

Mike
__________________
mikey5290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:42 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Denver area
Posts: 38
I was kinda in your shoes. I bought a tank and ran it for a few days then did a fish-in cycle with 3 cichlids. I was VERY diligent on water changes and prime.

Four months later those three fish are doing well. I wouldn't do that again but please don't feel you did anything wrong as long as you keep that water changed and the fish healthy.




Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
JAnders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:56 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
joecoones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Boise
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey5290 View Post
Thanks for the reassurance.

Got some meds today---polygard and focus
Soaked some food and I am pretty sure right after they spit it out I saw them give me dirty look.
They tried over and over and over, so hopefully some meds ended up in their bellies. Definitely no lack of appetite.

I never would have thought fish would beg for food, but they have been swimming (pacing) back and forth as if to say where is the regular food??


Crossing my fingers they are back to normal in a few days.

Mike

You can always add aquarium salt also after each water change. Works well as a general elixir. Just following dosing directions on the box/bag. Aquarium salt will increase the general hardness of your water (Malawi has a great deal of calcium carbonate salts in it and therefore is quite hard).

P.s. African cichlids beg like a starving dog all the time. Only time I haven't seen them beg when someone walks up to the tank is if they are being fed with an automated feeder and don't associate your presence with goodies. (Personally I enjoy the begging behavior, gives me a chances to get a good look at any damage etc..)
__________________

__________________
joecoones is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie in need of help! New tank, need advice Bcusick Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 303 02-04-2014 07:05 AM
Help new to all of this starting up a 55 chiclid and need filter help asap thanks Justkell Cichlid Discussion 3 07-29-2013 03:05 PM
building a new reef tank and need help and information!! mississippi Member Introductions 1 07-11-2011 08:23 PM
Help help help parisites need ergent help Tetra98 Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish 6 06-17-2011 05:30 PM
need help ASAP PLZ!!! Need to know if i need water change Jonathan G. Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 8 02-28-2005 09:10 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.