New angels!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Catalina

Aquarium Advice Activist
So finally, after several weeks of monitoring my 55 gal to make sure everything was okay (had some concerns about the health of 2 tetras for a while; QTed them for a couple weeks and all has been fine since) I got 4 new angels on Friday with the hopes that one will pair up with my original angel, Poldy.

They are all a little under silver dollar size, and all at least a cm. or two smaller than Poldy. I acclimated the bag in his tank and he seemed very curious but gentle with them. I am particular enamored with two of them that are half-black pearl scales! They're just beautiful and I'm hoping Poldy will pick one of them. The other 2 are regular silvers like Poldy, but non-veil.

They are currently in a 10 gal. QT tank. I also have a tall 25 gal. tall Eclipse that I was hoping to QT them in, but when it came time to fill it I realized my boyfriend had thrown away the biowheel when we moved it to the new place. (The filter probably would have worked anyway, no? Didn't even think of that.) They seem to be doing extremely well in there, although I am not very pleased because I introduced them with an entire bag of Biospira, which clearly did something as there is no ammonia, but nitrites have spiked to over 1.0. Biospira just keeps letting me down; maybe I expect to much from it. The fish don't seem affected by this in any way. Maybe because I use Prime or because they're just tough? Either way, I'm planning to do a water change in a little while with water from my main tank, and if nitrites aren't gone by the morning I'm thinking I'll move them into the main tank after only 3 full days of QT. Is this a bad idea? Wouldn't it be worse to keep them in a tank with nitrites than jumping the gun a bit with the QT?

I'm also slightly worried about aggression in the 10 gal. They just got some blood worms, and were all very feisty afterwards. For the most part, though, they have been doing well in there together as I have many plants and ornaments. One of the silvers does seem a bit of a bully and I also find him the least attractive, so will not be heartbroken if he needs to be returned, but am going to give him a chance. I really want Poldy to pair off with one of these fish, and am thinking because he's already laid claim to the main tank and is also the largest (but not by much), that he will definitely have his pick of the group instead of the other way around. Is this overly-optimistic of me?

Sorry for writing so much; I'm just so excited and adore these fish! When I watch them I'm saying to myself "Now THAT'S a fish." I've never owned a type of fish with this much personality, intelligence and grace.

And happy mother's day to all the women on this forum! You all deserve it; even if you don't have kids, you have fish!

Congrats on your new acquistions, hopefully Poldy will appreciate having some friends.

Biospira is always a hit and miss proposition but you have nothing to worry about...water changes will still work as they always did. You need not use your main tank water for this, simply because a QT is an isolation tank...no exchanges of anything between the two.

If you can stretch the QT period without problems then do...the longer the QT period, the better.

Lastly, where are the pics?

Thanks for the reply Jchillin. Went ahead and did the water change with tap water as suggested.

My boyfriend and I sometimes get into pseudo-arguments about fish decisions; I read so much more about this than he does but sometimes he still insists that he is right. Today it was about whether we should move the new angels into the main tank now, or wait a few more days, with him pushing for now. We started discussing it again tonight and I said "an advisor on Aquarium Advice told me to wait" and he said "oh" and completely dropped it. So that's definitely a line to use in the future!

Will try and get some pictures soon, and also update about what happens with the angels!

Back
Top Bottom