New aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zkrush2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey,
Just got a new 75 gal tank and I'm a beginner but I have been researching. I was wondering how many oscars it could have? I also would like to know if I could put any Africans with an Oscar. I know its not recommended, however, I have seen people do it on YouTube and was wondering if any1 had success with the combination. Thanks

Welcome! I'm fairly new too, but if there's anything I've learned about keeping cichlids, it's that they are very personable. The fish will develop their own personalities and attitudes. You can try to put africans with oscars. But! The oscars can kill them. It might be one Oscar who has decided he hates all African cichlids. Or it could be all of the oscars. Or it could be completely vice-versa. It's a constant experiment testing the fishes comparability. I have heard that if you get small fish when they're really young and you have them grow up together, they'll be more passive to one another. Good luck!

Okay thanks. I was also wondering if there is any other fish that you know of that are compatible with cichlids (excluding plecos)?

i wouldnt mix africans and oscurs. stick with just sa cichlids. you could get a jack dempsey or a green terror. please dont mix them, it never ends up good.

Welcome to the cichlid forum! SA and Africans have different diets. You can mix them but its not proper. Stick with one or the other.

Which one would you suggest getting? I know that may be a tough question but is one in someways "cooler" then the other?

I love my jack dempseys they are really pretty and have a good personality, I tried putting them with a couple equal sized Africans and it didn't end well for the Africans, but I have them with convicts now and they are fine. I would definitely recommend jack dempseys because they are awesome fish and don't get as big as oscars.

Okay thanks I will consider the jack dempseys. Do you know where you could get the ones that are blue? Petsmart did not have any? Any websites that would be good for ordering fish?

Yeah Petsmart usually just have the normal ones that end up looking really cool when fully grown, but my lfs has the electric blue ones but they are $25 and only inch long so I didnt want to spend that much on them, though they are awesome

I already have purchased one it is made by marine land and it says it's a bio wheel power filter emperor 400 and it's for up to 90 gal

Thats a good filter. When you can you may want to look at getting a sump, building a sump, or maybe a fluval. Cichlids like to be over filtered. Have you cycled your tank yet?

Like I said I'm a beginner, so I don't really know what a sump is. Could you explain to me what they are and how you could make them like u said or what type to buy?

Would just buying another filter be ok? I was thinking about buying another filter similar to my last one just a little less power. Also for future reference could you tell me a recommended temp in Fahrenheit for cichlids? Another question I have is how should I was my rocks I'm using or decoration? I bought them at lowes if that helps. Thanks

i herd you can put convicts with oscars and they wont eat them. actualy they will chace the oscar . i have one very big oscar but i havent tried it yet

bob mccoy said:
i herd you can put convicts with oscars and they wont eat them. actualy they will chace the oscar . i have one very big oscar but i havent tried it yet

You Spelt breeder wrong in your profile...

Back
Top Bottom