New Blue Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottw68TN

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just got a pair of rams. They were the best specimens I have ever seen. Even the store owners were amazed. So now that I maid an impulse buy any advise? I have freeze dried worms actually are misquito larvae and plan to get some tubifex. What else?

You will need some high quality flake food, like Omega One veggie flakes, to round out the diet. They do need vegetable matter in their diet as well as the live and frozen protein. These fish prefer soft, acidic water and do much better in it, though they can be kept in harder more alkaline water. They are a peaceful species so don't put them in with aggressive cichlids. They will do much better in the community tank, depending upon what you have in there. Congratulations! They are one of my all time favorite fish, though I have not kept them recently due to my hard, alkaline water. One day I will set up a small tank for them and use peat and driftwood to soften the water.

I had freeze dried bloodworms/larvae and bought some frozen brine but have never dealt with frozen foods I tried to give them a small bit but the community went crazy on it. Should I disolve it in some water first then pour it in or what?

Also I'm going to be in chat tonight and hope more freshwater people will come. Maybe we can pick a 1 night to start frequenting more than another.

I dissolve it in water first... half i put at the top for most of my fish, the rest I put in with a turkey baster for fish like my alitispinosa, who usually prefers to hang out at the bottom and doesn't like to feed at the top.

Sorry I posted frozen, I saw the "freeze" in dried and immediately thought frozen, I suppose! Freeze dried is fine as a part of their diet, as I am sure they will love them (my fish do not like freeze dried tubifex, for some reason but go nuts for FD bloodworms) but the main part of their diet should be a good flake, or even those micro pellets Hikari makes.

Thanks. Mine look like pirahna when I put freeze dried bloodworms in. Mainly the barbs and tetras. What am I saying tiger barbs are pirahna or at least they think they are. They also love freeze dried shrimp the big ones it looks like a rugby game when one hits the water. I got the frozen brine but it will come in handy as treats. and supplemental.

Damn. Those ARE good specimens!!!!!!! I saw some beautiful ones in the LFS, but nothing like those.

And it all makes sense now! That's why they're called blue rams. Most blue rams are predominantly yellow and red, but those have the blue color to them!

How much did you pay?

7.99! each. the male has a small bright red line across the tip of his upper fin and perfect seperation and blend of colors. It turns electric blue when viewing from the side back and a bright yellow from the front. The female is just as nice but doesn't have the red in the fins.

Really lovely! If you think they go crazy for freeze dried bloodworms, just try frozen - utter mayhem!

My water PH is about 7.2 does anyone think thats to much it can drift upwards to 7.4 but does so slowly. I would hate to kill these guys.

Do you need to keep it that high? Could you conceivably add some driftwood to the tank?

It has alot of driftwood. Thats probably keeping it down. it pretty difficult to lower and keep it down.

i have 2 blue n 2 golden ram. Keep ur water clean all the time. They are quit sensitive with water condition. but the good part is they are quit easy to feed n very FRIENDLY fish.

i luv when they swim a few sec and then 'hang' in the middle of the tank few few sec. swim like robot!!! :)

LOL

They look like hummingbirds flying.
My water never gets more than 10ppm nitrates. And of coarse 0 and 0 on the others. One of the benifits of a larger tank the water does everything sloooowly. small tanks can turn quick.

Back
Top Bottom