New Blue Zebra cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Hello,

This is my first post on this site.

I just bought a blue zebra and put it in a 20 gal tank. I had to mix him with a big redfinned slightly aggressive loach. And at present 2 Danio that were disturbing my harlequins in my other tank. I think I will have to take the danio out.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has experience with the blue zebra sharing a tank with non mbuna fish?

Thanks,

thanks Rok

I know it's not the ideal condition. I plan on moving and making a large mbuna community tank in a few months. I just couldn't wait to get the blue zebra. I had to have it.

Most of the information led me to only large community mbuna tanks. There wasn't any info about a single fish. I know many Oscar only keep one fish.

Anyway, I'll post the happenings of the tank.

By the way Rok, you mentioned a full-sized Danio in your tank. How big is it. Do they get real big?

Thanks again

Actually it says "none full size". Giant danios usually max out at about 4"-4.5", from what I've read anyway. The smaller danios (I.E. zebra), only get to about 2.4".

Zebra's are an aggressive Cichlid and in ideal conditions should be in at least a 50 gal tank. We have 2 of them in our 150 Malawi tank and they are truly gorgeous fish. Again, idealiy, it should have a pH in the upper 7's and 8's. The loach should also be in a 50 gal tank and prefers a pH in the 6's and low to mid 7's. pH isn't a major factor in fish nowadays since most of them are tank breed. But African's really thrive in a higher pH range.

I'm more concerned about the danios and harlequins. They are not aggressive fish. If you truly want to keep the Zebra, I would remove the Danios and Harlequins from the tank since they are peaceful fish. I'm just afraid that the Zebra will tare them apart.

Thanks fishyfanatic

The Halequins are not in the same tank as the Zebra. I have another nice peaceful tank. But 4 danios were too rowdy in the tank, so I took 2 and put them with the Loach.

As of this morning, everything is OK. The Zebra is the smallest fish in the tank so far. The Loach doesn't seem too concerned about it. The Danios try to shoal with the zebra, but they soon realize his different character. So far there has been not aggression at all. But I think once the zebra gets settled in, there might be a problem. At that point I will move the Danios. I think the Zebra and loach will bee good tank mates. The loach has a very nice staked out piece of teritory. Actually the zebra went into the Loaches cave, and the loach did nothing. In another tank, he used to come out and harass my buddy's betta. That why I had to take the fish off his hands.

I've been keeping my ph about 7 to 7.5
I use a sany bottom which I heard raises the ph as well.

So anyway, so far so good. I like the zebra a lot. The character is so different from any other fish I have had.

Thanks again all,

I'm not really sure what kind, but not zebra danio.
Please remember that I'm in Japan and communication with the pet store isn't the best. They just say yeah yeah yeah.

I bought 4 danio, one is orange with short fins. really pretty. The other 3 are like little rainbow trout. But no stripes. more spots than stripes. And they have long fins.

When I put all 4 with the harlequins, they chased themselves and the harlequins all around, and soon my harlequins were starting to show more aggression. Once I removed 2 danio, things went back to normal. The danio sill chase each other, but mostly.....mostly leave the harlequins alone. And the 2 Danio never mess with my betta.

Malawi tank

Hi Fish finatice,

As I mentioned before, I really hope to set up a malawi tank in my next place. In Tokyo. Yeah, a big tank with lost of earthquakes. Again, another great idea.

So I am very curious about the Malawi tank. I have researched about it and found some good articles. Basically, high ph. A lot of rock structure. Overstock the tank to curve aggression. And not much rock in the bottom.

Since my place will be small, I'll only have room for one tank. It will be a major part of the room.

I have heard that a malawi tank is the most colorful freshwater tank and the character of the fish are interesting.

Since this would be my only tank, would you say I'm on the right track? I'm curious to your experience with the Malawi tank.

Thanks a lot

Back
Top Bottom