New bolivian rams, male/female ratio questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

93MSB

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just acquired 4 bolivian rams from the pet store. They were the only 4 there at the time. After getting them home and going over the sexing guides again it looks like I have 3m and 1f.

My method for sexing was looking at the vents. 3 of them have smaller "triangles" pointing towards the rear. The other fish's vent is more round and is fatter/puffier, it also appears to have fuller face.

The three "males" seem to be hanging out together and getting along fine. The "female" seems to be hanging out alone and is getting into a few lip locking battles with the "males"

Assuming I have sexed them correctly what behavioral issues should I be looking for with my m/f ratio being backwards?

Edit: I'm trying to get pics but that's a lot easier said then done.

Also fish are approx 1.5-1.75in including tail

Can you post pictures of them? I've never vented rams to sex them only by physical features. A female fighting males is very uncommon. If you sexed them correctly you would expect them to fight endlessly over the female. Or one dominating the others

They are in a 30 gal hex, which I know is really too small of a footprint. I'm going to get a 46g bowfront when one pops up for sale or on Craigslist. I have a 55g but I have a red tail black shark in there that can be a bully

What makes you think the 2nd one is female? Just curious what you look for when sexing

Back
Top Bottom