Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-12-2013, 02:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

New cichlid 70 gallon tank

Just got a new 70 gallon tank and considering making it a cichlid tank. All other aquariums I've had have been community aquariums. I just have a few basic questions. As far as stocking goes, do I just put Africans with Africans and American with American cichlids?? How should the decor be set up?? I know they like cave like hiding spots, where should I get my rocks?? Also, what is the main difference between a community tank and a cichlid tank. Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:00 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

The difference between a cichlid tank and a community tank is that a community tank holds a variety of peaceful / semi aggressive fishes whilst a cichlid tank has only cichlids as its main thing. You can have Plecos or upside down catfish in the tank as well since they usully get along, but it depends on what cichlids you're getting into, ect.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:47 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman24 View Post
Just got a new 70 gallon tank and considering making it a cichlid tank. All other aquariums I've had have been community aquariums. I just have a few basic questions. As far as stocking goes, do I just put Africans with Africans and American with American cichlids?? How should the decor be set up?? I know they like cave like hiding spots, where should I get my rocks?? Also, what is the main difference between a community tank and a cichlid tank. Any help and advice would be appreciated.
1. Yes you want to stick to one world or the other. But it goes way beyond that. Certain species should not be mixed, and care should be given to what species of cichlids you want. With thousands of species are one of the most diverse groups of fish out there. I'd recommend doing some digging deciding which way you want to go and then seek some advice on that group.

2. Decor should be setup to resemble that of the natural environment again depends on your type of cichlids you want to go with. Not all cichlids like rocks, some like plants, others driftwood, and some shells.

3. IMO there is no difference. You have fish In a glass box, provide the best water quality possible, feed them, provide the care needed for those specific fish, and the MOST important thing.... Enjoy them!!!
Old 10-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Africans Like a Higher PH 8.0 and harder water, also the temps are warmer. The South or Central American Cichlids, PH 6.5 to 7.5 although there are a few that can cross over if brought up together very young, Although I don't think it's worth stressing the fish being forced to live in conditions outside it's habitat. Yet, I've seen it done. Most American Cichlids, will uproot Plants, but in my experience, Only finely leafed ones, Plants with Broad stronger leaves tend to be left alone, But moss and things like carpet plants, become snacks. There is no easy answer, Both SA and African like Hiding spots, you can get away with plants with some. Really, you should think about what you want as your end game and go from there. You will get more colorful fish with africans. But IMO, American Cichlids have big personalities, they can be a lot of fun to watch. with Africans, You can definitely stock more fish in an aquarium, They don't put out the bio load of American Cichlids. There are a lot of factors, again, it's what you want to achieve in the end.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thank you so much for the information! But I'm thinking about just sticking to a community, maybe add a couple large schools, some angels, and other oddballs.. Chiclids just seem to confusing for me and I've never had experience putting rock or driftwood in an aquarium. I still might though! Gonna be a little bit before the tank is ready
Old 10-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Thank you so much for the information! But I'm thinking about just sticking to a community, maybe add a couple large schools, some angels, and other oddballs.. Chiclids just seem to confusing for me and I've never had experience putting rock or driftwood in an aquarium. I still might though! Gonna be a little bit before the tank is ready
Give it a go I've had community tanks for the last 18 years and set up my first African tank 6 months ago, it's the best thing I ever did. The fish are really interesting to watch they all have their own personalities. To start off with its quite daunting but I'm sure you will soon learn enough to be able to keep your cichlids and this forum is great for finding everything out. The only downside I have found to keeping these fish is that there very addictive I am already looking to get a second tank so I can get even more
Old 10-13-2013, 01:13 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

My Tanganyikan Tank is by far my favorite tank of all my tanks now. I'm so forever grateful and happy that I could have one and that I do have one. I don't know what I ever did before them.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com