New Cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankBoss

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all! I just scored on a 55 gallon full of nice chiclids and have it all set up. I replaced the bio wheel filter and a different filter that Hung on the tank, with a new canister filter. The fish are doing great but I'm suddenly worried because I just realized there is no suffice agitation in the tank now. Will my Chiclids suffocate?

You should have some surface movement to keep proper oxygen levels in the aquarium. What type of cichlids are they and how many do you have? Do you have live plants?

Why don't you just put back one or both of the HOB filters, your tank will only benefit from the extra filtration and that will give the aeration you need. You could also either get a powerhead for the tank or get an air pump and have an air stone in the tank.

You can move the spray bar or whatever out-take method you have from the cannister closer to the surface if you want more water movement near the surface.

If the cannister is rated large enough for the tank, it should moving the water enough to maintain healthy oxygen levels. You just may not see it on the surface.

I love my cannister vs. my hobs.

Thank you so much for your replies.
No plants and all of my fish have yet to be ID'd. There are Possibly 25 total... all vibrant and active. The tank seems very healthy and happy.
I would rather not use any more filtration. My canister is for up to 65 gallons and pleanty of movement can be seen on and just under the surface. So this movement is all it takes to get o2 into the water? Spashes and bubbles not necessary?

25 fish is quite a lot in the 55gal, as each one will get to at least 4 in. Once they start to get bigger I don't think that single canister filter will be able to handel them. At some point in the next month or two you will probably need to add more filtration and those hob filters would do the job. They won't hurt anything, but will make your water cleaner.

NMfishman said:
25 fish is quite a lot in the 55gal, as each one will get to at least 4 in. Once they start to get bigger I don't think that single canister filter will be able to handel them. At some point in the next month or two you will probably need to add more filtration and those hob filters would do the job. They won't hurt anything, but will make your water cleaner.

Thanks. I will either be adding filtration or finding new homes for some of the zebras.

If you have a fluval fx5 or equivalent then you will have enough filtration and 25 fish will be fine in that tank. Malawi cichlids don't mind being crowded at all. You will just have to be diligent with your pwcs.

mattrox said:
If you have a fluval fx5 or equivalent then you will have enough filtration and 25 fish will be fine in that tank. Malawi cichlids don't mind being crowded at all. You will just have to be diligent with your pwcs.

Thanks for your input. Sadly, I won't be upgrading my filter any time soon... the 100 I spent on my cascade was all my budget would allow. Atm I'm not sure what it is specifically called and I'm not home so I can't check. It said it was for "up to" 65 gallon tanks.

Back
Top Bottom