New Cichlid Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Defone

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys I'm new to the forum and just started a cichlid tank its only a small 2ft wanna be able to maintain that before I move onto bigger, I have the rocks and water running fine and off to pick up fish tommorow any advice on wi h African ones to get I was hoping around 6 fish in there with 3 different pairs? Any advice would be great!

Hate to say it but my advice is, get a bigger tank, cichlids are very territorial and need the large foot print of at least a 55 gal, and larger tanks are actually easier to maintain, more water means small problems don't usually get out of hand so quickly, you probably could go with shell dwellers, or maybe some rams, but not mbunas or peacocks

Thanks heaps I just wanna get the feel of it before I invest so much money and time!

What's up man welcome to the forum. I was wondering if you cycled your tank? And how long? If done properly minimizes fish loss. If you gonna get an African it's gotta be by himself. Lol feel me. With like a pleco. The most. That way he runs the tank. If your looking to stock. Schooling fish look cool. Hope this helps in anyway possible

Yeah all been cycled yeah I don't wanna overcrowd it I've had a community tank before I just want to practise first before i upgrade also waiting to get my own house before I go heaps big!!! Thanks for the welcome I was thinking maybe some dwarf options I just really like the electric colors on them!

I live in Australia so it's 80litres pretty basic I know

Thanks heaps for the help I've got the rocks sorted out and getting fish tommorow ill post pics then with bodybuilding and fish tanks combined think I've chosen some expensive hobbies lol

You could do a pair of some of the dwarf cichlids, rams or kribs and then a small group of community fish with them. Or a few shell dwellers

Shell dwellers. That's all you can do with 6 fish. Plus your ratios need to be corrected, either all male or 1m:3f.

Back
Top Bottom