New cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggalz

Aquarium Advice Freak
does anyone do anything specific when they add new cichlids? i dont have much luck when i add to my stock..i usually end up with one that gets tortured and then i take out of the tank and place in another...i rescaped it..cause it worked a few days ago..it looked way better and it seemed they were much more peaceful..not that it was a 3 ring circus or anything...so i rescaped tonight..then got my families opinion...and then shut the light off..lol

3027upd.jpg

2vnkjcw.jpg

55 african...i have 12 so far...dont have male female ratio as i get them really young

A hex tank will not work with african cichlids, these fish are very territorial and require a minimum of a 4ft tank. The reason your seeing aggression in fish that small is due to the lack of space and a fish trying to claim an area but the issue will be once a fish claims it the tank is so small he's essentially claiming the entire tank. IMO hexagon tanks are the absolute hardest to stock with suck a limited footprint. Long term there's no way that tank will work with 99% of the mbuna speices with the exception of some of the dwarf fish like Saulosi, even with the dwarf's there's a good chance it will fail.

i've had these years ago..with the exception of maybe two..and i had less in the tank..i had no problems

your right..so just because a huge tank thats long is right for one person doesnt mean it has to be right for everyone..

your right..so just because a huge tank that's long is right for one person doesn't mean it has to be right for everyone..
HUKIT is right, sorry. Africans need space not depth. Just because they were alive doesn't mean they thrived.
Yes most of us have tank bred fish not wild, but to create an environment as close to what their natural habitat would have been is in the best interest of the fish.
There are always liberties we can take in the decor of our tanks. But as far as the amount of room a fish needs to thrive that's not very negotiable.
In fact I wonder sometimes why they even make some of those tall skinny tanks. They aren't any good for keeping fish. And people unknowingly buy them and add fish because the tank hold the correct quantity of water. But quantity of water isn't the only factor to be taken into consideration when setting up a tank for a specific breed of fish.
HUKIT knows his **** when it come to African cichlids.
I've been very lucky with my Mbunas and have accidentally done all the right things for them.
HUKIT's avatar may be freaky but he has a very respectable amout of knowledge. Don't let the picture fool you.

i understand that he knows his stuff..and i understand that it would be preferred to have a wider not taller tank..but i've had these guys all before..and had absolutely no problems..and less hiding spaces then i do now..the point of my post was to find out what others do..not nip pick every "wrong" thing that others think about my tank..wasnt my intention

The tank size and shape has everything to do with your original question of why your having poor luck in adding fish. That's my opinion of why your having aggression issues.

not sure why i bother posting..i know one of the reasons why i'm having bad luck with adding fish..and theres nothing i can do with him..unless i try and sell him and ship him to someone..i dont think theres anything wrong with my tank the size or anything..unless this was my first time with this type of fish...and in this tank..i'd probably think and agree..but i've had them before..so i dont agree..people need to lay off such hard specifics..if you dont fit the mold its like what you do is purely wrong..

wonder why i never had issues before..they were much bigger the first time i had them..and more of them

does anyone do anything specific when they add new cichlids? i dont have much luck when i add to my stock..

The general answer to this question is that when stocking mbuna's it's best to do it all at once or within a short time frame (all in the same day if possible, but definately within 2 weeks from 1st fish to last fish added).

As the existing mbuna's in the tank become established it will become challenging to add new ones (due to the territorial nature of these types of fish, new additions will be viewed as and treated as intruders, as you have witnessed).

If doing the above is not possible, the next best thing is to add new mbuna's in groups (4+ at a time, preferably of the same species to avoid singling out by the established mbuna's).

The exception to this is if the new mbuna's are larger and more aggressive than the established fish. For example adding a single large 5.5" male red zebra into a mbuna set up stocked with 2.5" juvies won't be a problem for the male zebra. Adding this same fish in a tank containing one or more 5.5" male red zebra's may result in immediate aggression.

Other successful techniques include adding smaller juveniles (which aren't usually seen as a threat) or adding them at night. Also it's usually best to add the aggressive species last. Adding mildly aggressive or even aggressive species in a tank that contains highly aggressive species will be challenging.

In large tanks with large groups of fish it's easier to add new fish in ones' or two's. For example a 125gal with 30 mbuna's including 10 yellow labs, one could probably add a single female yellow lab seamlessly.

In regards to the success that you had with the previous cichlids you had in this tank, how large were they and how long did they exist in the tank?

In my experience, mbuna aggression doesn't really peak until the fish are about 4 years old, or when they reach full grown size (usually 5"-6" for most species, though some are larger or smaller than this).

How long did your other Cichlids live?
No one is nit picking or picking on you. You asked a question and we've answered to the best of our ability, with the best interest of the fish in mind.
We are all here to support one another and share knowledge. But we are also here to help people make better decision for the life of their fish.
No one is making this personal.

i get them very young..half an inch to an inch..they grew to about 3 inches give or take till i took them back to my lfs...and i did the same with these..only their not past 2 inches yet...

No one I trying to nit-pick or bring you down just simply provide you with the best information and experience/opinion they have to make sure you and your fish are healthy and happy.

The general answer to this question is that when stocking mbuna's it's best to do it all at once or within a short time frame (all in the same day if possible, but definately within 2 weeks from 1st fish to last fish added).

As the existing mbuna's in the tank become established it will become challenging to add new ones (due to the territorial nature of these types of fish, new additions will be viewed as and treated as intruders, as you have witnessed).

If doing the above is not possible, the next best thing is to add new mbuna's in groups (4+ at a time, preferably of the same species to avoid singling out by the established mbuna's).

The exception to this is if the new mbuna's are larger and more aggressive than the established fish. For example adding a single large 5.5" male red zebra into a mbuna set up stocked with 2.5" juvies won't be a problem for the male zebra. Adding this same fish in a tank containing one or more 5.5" male red zebra's may result in immediate aggression.

Other successful techniques include adding smaller juveniles (which aren't usually seen as a threat) or adding them at night. Also it's usually best to add the aggressive species last. Adding mildly aggressive or even aggressive species in a tank that contains highly aggressive species will be challenging.

In large tanks with large groups of fish it's easier to add new fish in ones' or two's. For example a 125gal with 30 mbuna's including 10 yellow labs, one could probably add a single female yellow lab seamlessly.

In regards to the success that you had with the previous cichlids you had in this tank, how large were they and how long did they exist in the tank?

In my experience, mbuna aggression doesn't really peak until the fish are about 4 years old, or when they reach full grown size (usually 5"-6" for most species, though some are larger or smaller than this).

great advice..i dont normally have the money for all at once..or over a two week time..i've bought close together though...i added 3 young acei and they nipped ones tail so he's quarantined...what i did last night was i rescaped it..and then shut the light off..so far today theres been no problems...i get a lot of mixed feelings on whether the tank should be under stocked and over stocked..i've read a lot of info online that says to overstock to avoid aggression with one particular fish...these guys are growing fast once i place them elsewhere i'll go with tiny babies...

ps...for anyone looking at the tank..its only scaped from the middle up...theres nothing infront of it except for that driftwood i placed there...and theres nothing in the back of it..

Well without trying to start a fight your tank actually looks really nice. Im sure its hard taking critisism on something you obviously have spent time and money and effort into, but for the most part your tank dosen't seem right for Mbuna but that dosen't mean you wont have some success keeping them. Just a thought instead of trading in for more Mbuna why not try a different species your tank is well suited for alot of other fish. If your set on keeping mbuna then as has been stated try all at once and maybe some less aggressive species (such as yellow labs) or even a one species only tank may work better.

Well without trying to start a fight your tank actually looks really nice. Im sure its hard taking critisism on something you obviously have spent time and money and effort into, but for the most part your tank dosen't seem right for Mbuna but that dosen't mean you wont have some success keeping them. Just a thought instead of trading in for more Mbuna why not try a different species your tank is well suited for alot of other fish. If your set on keeping mbuna then as has been stated try all at once and maybe some less aggressive species (such as yellow labs) or even a one species only tank may work better.

it would help greatly to lose the biggest meanie in the tank..not sure what to do with him..and he's the prettiest one..

Back
Top Bottom