New Compressiceps!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LilBangarang

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got 3 dimidiochromis compressiceps. So far I've had no problems with my 2 yellow labs, danios, loaches, or clown plec. I have a pic attatched. Any special tips on these guys as far as special foods and keeping them vibrant?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120603_213546.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120603_213546.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 90
  • ForumRunner_20120603_213650.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120603_213650.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 95
  • ForumRunner_20120603_213728.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120603_213728.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 90
  • ForumRunner_20120603_213748.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120603_213748.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 99
I had one (impulse buy back in the day before learning my lesson) that I rehomed from my mbuna tank.

They are "peaceful" with similarly sized fish but will eat any small fish. And they get big, 10".

The biggest issue is diet, they are meat eaters, predators, but all of my mbuna are mainly algae eaters and require low protein. If I add meat to the diet for the eye biter then I risk malawai bloat for the mbuna. If I feed vegetable based, low protein diet for the mbuna, the eye biter will not thrive. That's why I thought it was best to rehome.

Oh, I forgot to ask, what size is your tank?

Last edited by a moderator:
You are going to have to either upgrade the tank or rehome those guys IMO. A 40 gallon tank is too small for just the eye biters, let alone any other fish you already have. Those 3 will each get to about ten inches, they need a lot of room to swim about.

I have 4 compressiceps in my 143g in with my mbuna and as stated above they will eat any small fish that will fit in their mouths.They are serious predators.Watch the way they hunt smaller fish,Head pointing down to minimise their visibility..Then they dart down on unsuspecting prey WHAM dinner is served.Fry are unlikely to survive with eye biters in your tank and.
Again as stated above your tank is way too small for compressiceps as they reach 10" in length.I would think a 125g is more suitable for them so you may want to rehome them as they get bigger or upgrade your tank.
Having said that they are beautiful fish one of my favourites and a great addition.
Good luck with your fish :)

Thank you. Fortunately all my fish are as big or bigger than the eye biters. I will definately be able to rehome them by the time it becomes necessary.

Back
Top Bottom