new fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldshell4481

Aquarium Advice Activist
i just got a green terror, goin in with my cons. they seem to not get along at all but the green terror puts him in his place.
also i got an angelicus catfish and a bristlenose cat for my oscar tank, really neat fish.
my green terror is my favorite i never thought i would get one until i saw it today. they resemble a jack dempsey alot. do they get to be the same size????

Yeah, they get huge I think. I've heard people who keep them say that they are best kept in no less than a 75 gallon tank when grown. They also get very aggressive and will probably pose a serious threat to your other fish.

Yeah, I meant a serious threat to ALL your fish. If you don't want your cons why don't you just give them away instead of letting them be eaten? :( I'm pretty sure someone told me that GTs are best kept as solitary fish unless you get an enormous tank.

Are you planning on getting a bigger tank in the future? I thought that 2 oscars themselves needed something like a 100+ gallon tank, let alone with other fish. Never kept them myself though. :?

sometime in the future id like to find a secondhand 100 gallon, youd have to pay people to take convicts. so im stuck there, and i dont want to kill them.

Have you approached your LFS/s about taking them for you? Granted they may not give you $$ for them but at least they would be gone. I, personally, feel that you would be more humane to euthanize them (if you just can not re-home them somehow) than to leave them all together in the current set-up and allow what will happen to happen, jmo.
You may also try contacting your local school district....many high school biology depts like fish such as convicts as they make willing breeders and show parental care - which makes them good study subjects for the class tank.

my sisters alt-ed school turned em down, lfs recommended flushing them. cant find anyone to take them, and my oscars like live food (babies).

Back
Top Bottom