New fish dying!! HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhemp34

Aquarium Advice Freak
Recently, I've added a Perlmut and hap. obliquiden and they have died. Now all my other fish are functioning as normal and I dont know why my fish are rolling away. My water levels are great my nitrates are the only thing that are borderline at about 40. I dont know why they just keep dying...both the same way...first very active enjoying themselves then 3-4 days pass and you see heavy breathing. Then next day dead...Of course because i know my water levels are ok i can take them back but the time and gas it cost to get there is becoming to much..Help!!!!:eek2:

I guess a couple things I would check is if there is a big PH difference between the tanks at the LFS and your tank. Also how are you acclimating them? Make sure you take plenty of time. Although, if it is taking 3-4 days to see the symptoms, I would lean toward the difference in PH possibly. Are the fish very small or grown? Usually these are hardy fish and even the PH difference is adjusted to and there isnt a problem. I would ask the LFS if he has had other returns. Possible you are doing nothing wrong and its a bad batch of fish also. Sorry for your losses.

Yea i know.. The issue is that I use many diff. LFS places. and each fish i bought this weekend died from both places...of 5 fish 2 died one i took back because he had a fungus i didnt see in the store do to poor lighting. i bought a synodontis which is larger and he's fine... these fish were are 2-4 inch respectively. So i dont know the store states there PH is around 8.0 nitrites 0 and nitrates aroud 40 ammonia 0....My api test kit is reading those same #'s.....

Gasping for air usually means lack of air ( i know right? ). If water parameters are ok (although 40ppm Nitrates is a little high) then surface agitation is something else to check. Accomplish by either powerheads moving the surface of the water or if you have HOB's, keep the water level down just a little so they aerate the water. These are things that will solve future problems, dont know if we will figure out what happened to the other fish. Although you do know what happened to one with the fungus. I would do more frequent water changes to get the Nitrates down though. I try to keep mine around 10ppm.

i have the water below level so the HOB gets air also i have two 60 gallon air pumps..with double heads...thats a scratch off the list...I need a place that sells teh christmas fulu

All my sadness made me think outside of this convo...lol...sorry I was saying i want to find a place that sells health Christmas Fulu (Xystichromis phytophagus). i live in NC and i cant find not one place that has them

i bought the perlmuts at the same time from the same tank at the store. The hap was the only one of his kind....I have a mix with very little chasing believe it or not. I have frontosa, yellow lab haps, A.moori, even jewel cichilids. all fish same size.

What is a yellow lab hap? A yellow lab is a Labidochromis caeruleus which is a Mbuna it is not a hap or haplochromine. That is a pretty wide range of cichlids. Also wide range of dietary needs. The frontosa requires a meaty diet while the yellow lab is an algae grazer and would be in danger of bloat with a high protein diet. I dont know what the obliquiden is.

I had a frontosa in with my Mbuna and was told that it would be ok on the ciclid food. He basically starved to death. I felt so bad. I couldnt give him what he needed because it would endanger the other fish. Also frontosa are best in groups. You do have an odd mix of fish.

I had a bunch of Xmas Fulus, Rock Kribs, and Hap SP's for a long time... They are VERY sensitive to water parameters and I lost half the Haps just doing a water change and not adding prime quickly enough... I mean, within seconds almost they all died.

Not sure about the Perlmutts, but I bet it was also water Params, in addition already weak fish...

i want xmas fulus. Here's the thing most of the Fish i bought are compatible its the Craiglist terror ie (fish that came with) that are my headaches. For the most part they are very mild mannered no biting no chasing no bloat and i've had them for about 14 weeks...here the other thing. The stores are just selling weak fish with odd parameters. My parameters are like this. 8.2 ph nitrite 0 nitrate 20 (finally coming on down) ammonia 0.

also sorry for 3 consec.post i just got tired of Blue Tanks...i need variety and color hence i'm looking for a wide range of haps and peacocks. the other fish will be phazed into my 125 that is cycling.

hey lost one of my tank buddies today...same way...heavy breathing then sink to bottom very weak..then I put them in my QT Tank and they die.Again i have air pumps...water below HOB filter drop for added airation...water params..Nitrate 10 Nitrite 0 Ammonia 0 Ph.8.2.....any ideas?? I thought it was the new fish but one that died today is one of my older ones..(still juvenile)

Were those readings from the main tank or the hospital tank? If it was the hospital tank, was it new water in there, or water from the main tank? How different are the levels from tank to tank?

both tanks actually read the same believe it or not
except nitrate in QT is 5

also i was calling my Kenyi a frontosa and didn't realize it til i just re-read the thread

Back
Top Bottom