New fish ( shark?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bl80

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I was stopping in to get dog food today and a guy was dropping off a fish. It was so cool I told him I'd take it!! ( the tanks in there are horrible and no one knows anything but it's the only place that sells my natural grain free food for my pups) ANYWAY.... I tested his water he had it in and all is good. He had it in with tropicals and he was alot more active then them he said. So I figured what the hay! He's cool!! Crap pix. Ideas? Going to start looking at pix on google.... He's prob 3-4 inches long... Thanks!!!

Attachments

• image-501044795.jpg
    image-501044795.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 74
  • image-3369180821.jpg
    image-3369180821.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 82
  • image-2613259603.jpg
    image-2613259603.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 74
Ahhh. Hukit beat me to it.

I was going to say that is most definitely a Denison's Barb. They sell for about $20 for a 2 incher at my LFS. A little pricey.

Ahhh. Hukit beat me to it.

I was going to say that is most definitely a Denison's Barb. They sell for about $20 for a 2 incher at my LFS. A little pricey.

Yeah locally here they sell for $40 each...heck my Festae and Trimacs were not that expensive. They are a social schooling fish as well that really do better in larger groups, so I would find him some friends.

I found on the net it was called a red line? Thx guys.... At that price ( being unemployed) maybe I better rehome it? I can't afford more, and I've never seen them before. Would it be ok in a cichlid set up till then? I have it in a QT tank but he likes to zoom. After a few days I'd like to put it in my 6 foot tank ( rocks caves sand and plants).

I don't think I would worry to much to about keeping him alone, most of your cichlids don't pay to much attention to fish outside their genus. Just watch to make sure he's getting food once you transfer him, you know how the mbuna/vics act around feeding time.

What did you give for him? I've wanted a school of 7 of them forever but don't like the $140 price tag.

Ya they leave my red tails alone in the other tanks. I found a place on aquabid who has some...10$ right now ( 12.99 bin) Maybe if I bat my eyes enough My other half will get me a few when he gets paid... It will be easy once he sees him I think. Thx guys for your help. Fig I'd ask AND research too.... That way Hukit doesn't yell!! Lol :) thx again.

joel618 said:
What did you give for him? I've wanted a school of 7 of them forever but don't like the $140 price tag.

NOTHING he was taking it in to give to the store bc it wasn't working in his tank :) I lucked out. Try aquabid. There are some on there now.

Naw I'll just start complaining about his traffic signals etc and stuff.... And threaten ti start selling that or and old arcade game or two.... He n my son spend just as much time watching the fish. ESP now that they have arranged their computer desks so they can watch the 125 gal we got from the neighbor!!! I think he will want more if them. I have room in that tank :) he's happy too that I got a few dithers for my B Rams. They come out now and are doing AWESOME!!! getting finnage!! Wahoo!!!

Funny enough, I actually kept one with some Africans for bit. Long story short, he was a rescue, from a 20G actually. He was already about 6" though.

I kept him for about 3 months in my all male peacock 55G tank. He was left entirely alone. The peacocks didn't bother him at all, he just did his thing and they did theirs. He was really active, and usually at the top.

I ended up trading him in though. I was upgrading to a 120G, and I kind of figured he would be happier in a school of his own kind. Though I think he had started to convince himself that he was a peacock lol :D

Gotta say it was tough, as they're really cool fish IMO.

Oh and one little thing that I noticed, whenever he wasn't moving around, he would just kind of hover in place, slanted down slightly. Thought it looked kind of like he was keeping an eye on everything going on beneath him (since he was at the top) lol

A school of 7 for 140$ IMO is a fair price at my LFS they are 160 for 4. Great fish I have 7 krill works wonders on the coloration.

So last night my son put him in my 125 g. Said he was darting around and was afraid he'd hurt himself... ( grumble) oh well what's done is done. So far all is good, just worry about disease. Fingers crossed .... He's still cool. He's just wondering along....

Back
Top Bottom