New Jack Dempsey troubles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1337pi107

Aquarium Advice Newbie
first post here! hopefully you all can help me out.
so about 5 days ago i was out looking for fish to put into my new 55 gallon tank at my local fish store with one of my friends. i was looking at some JDs and the lady that was working the fish area asked about what i was looking for and then proceeded to offer me a donated 7" female JD that apparently had been dropped off earlier. it came with an other catfish looking buddy and unfortunately they had been in a bucket for so long and stressed from transfers that he didn't make it. nevertheless this female that i have is constantly hiding and i dont think she is even eating the pellets i have. there is 3 little feeder goldfish too!! this is my first JD so i have no idea what is the problem.

I have a JD that was dropped off due to it outgrowing it's tank as he was 6".

He wasn't shy, but rather chill when I put him in my tank with established fish. He did get bullied by a pair of Blood Parrots until they realized he could fit part of them in his mouth.

They all get along great now and my JD comes to the top at the sign of food being pulled out...wags his body like a dog and then pushes almost half his body out of the water to try and get into the pellet bag. He is also a LOUD chewer!

Congrats on the fish and tank! Just make sure you keep it clean..bigger the fish, bigger the waste and dirtier the water.

the tank was cycled for about 2 weeks prior to any addition of fish. right now he is the only one other than 3the feeder goldfish, so if anything she would be the bully. at first i don't think there was enough hiding spots, but as of yesterday i put in some new plants and rocks for her to hide behind. she has defiantly decided where her favorite hiding spot is, because she never leaves it. i have noticed though that at night when the lights are off in both my room ant the tank, i can see her exploring from the light off of my tv. i do have pictures, although not too good as they are from my phone.

HOLY COW! right as i was typing this she just came out to chase a goldfish. that just calmed my nervousness.

UPDATE: she got one. i feel a ton better knowing she is eating, but id love to see her more still. do you think the lights could be playing a roll?

Attachments

• JD.jpg
    JD.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 76
Just a heads up, i wouldn't feed goldfish, mostly because they are high in fat (which can cause liver failure over a period of time) and they are riddled with parasites and disease. At the pet store i used to work at, we'd lose HUNDREDS of feeders each week. Get her a high quality pellet, like hikari or NLS (new life spectrum) :) hope this helps

yes, so ive heard. but i love seeing her eat living things (cruel i know) but i cant help it. i suppose ill have to stick to worms, and yes, i do have some pellets but she dosnt seem very interested in them. the goldfish is the only thing ive seen her eat so far.

I bet she will like crickets!! Mine is only about 2in right now and destroys crickets

Back
Top Bottom