Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-13-2021, 07:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New Jack Dempseys - Hiding behind filter

I ordered two Jack dempseys from liveaquaria and got them in yesterday and they are only an inch long. I have them in a 5 gallon tank right now in quarantine and to grow them out to add to my aquarium. Both of them have been staying behind the HOB filter and havenít swam much at all around the tank. Iím about to do a 50% water change because I donít think the tank is fully cycled. I have a heater set at 78 degrees. Iím just wondering if this is normal for them to hide behind the filter all the time?

Old 01-13-2021, 08:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

First, make sure your water parameters are good. And some cichlids are more skittish than others. Esp when little like that, the instinct is to hide so your not killed. Jd are very skittish and hide alot. Mine is only about 3.5" but he still only comes out when he thinks I'm not watching. He'll come grab food then retreat behind his rock to eat. If your water parameters are good, then I'd say it's totally normal behavior, especially at that age

Old 01-13-2021, 08:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebankston View Post
First, make sure your water parameters are good. And some cichlids are more skittish than others. Esp when little like that, the instinct is to hide so your not killed. Jd are very skittish and hide alot. Mine is only about 3.5" but he still only comes out when he thinks I'm not watching. He'll come grab food then retreat behind his rock to eat. If your water parameters are good, then I'd say it's totally normal behavior, especially at that age

Okay, I knew they were more skittish than others but was just worried!! And as of right now, water parameters are in good standing, doing 35-50% water changes everyday until tank is fully cycled. They will be staying in there for a bit to grow before adding them to the tank with my Oscar. I appreciate the help!
Old 01-13-2021, 08:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Np. They may get more outgoing when older, but they will never be as gregarious as your oscar, lol

Tags
filter, hiding, jack dempsey

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com