New Jack Dempseys - Hiding behind filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

savalvey

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I ordered two Jack dempseys from liveaquaria and got them in yesterday and they are only an inch long. I have them in a 5 gallon tank right now in quarantine and to grow them out to add to my aquarium. Both of them have been staying behind the HOB filter and haven’t swam much at all around the tank. I’m about to do a 50% water change because I don’t think the tank is fully cycled. I have a heater set at 78 degrees. I’m just wondering if this is normal for them to hide behind the filter all the time?

First, make sure your water parameters are good. And some cichlids are more skittish than others. Esp when little like that, the instinct is to hide so your not killed. Jd are very skittish and hide alot. Mine is only about 3.5" but he still only comes out when he thinks I'm not watching. He'll come grab food then retreat behind his rock to eat. If your water parameters are good, then I'd say it's totally normal behavior, especially at that age

First, make sure your water parameters are good. And some cichlids are more skittish than others. Esp when little like that, the instinct is to hide so your not killed. Jd are very skittish and hide alot. Mine is only about 3.5" but he still only comes out when he thinks I'm not watching. He'll come grab food then retreat behind his rock to eat. If your water parameters are good, then I'd say it's totally normal behavior, especially at that age

Okay, I knew they were more skittish than others but was just worried!! And as of right now, water parameters are in good standing, doing 35-50% water changes everyday until tank is fully cycled. They will be staying in there for a bit to grow before adding them to the tank with my Oscar. I appreciate the help!

Back
Top Bottom