New mbuna setup pointer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

craigus762

Aquarium Advice Newbie
alright so here is what Im running and my stocklist. Tank was cycled properly. Tank setup: 75 gal all glass tank, lots of rock (slate, granite) 48 inch flurecent light. cascade 1000 canister, cascade 300 H.O.T. 200 w submersible heater, black sand substrate. all my levels are good and within tolerance, accept maybe GH but I added african salt to the required amount for a 75 gal so it should be good. I just dont have a test kit for gh.

stocking 2x yellow labs, 2x yellow lab red zebra hybrids, 3x red zebras, one female is holding :) 2x cobalt blue zebras, 1 ahli, 2 acei, 2x jewel cichlids, 1 auratus and 2 other unidentified hybrids. all fish range between 2 - 4 inches, with the ahli being the largest. I also have 3 one inch chinese algae eaters.
so theres the facts guys.
Questions I would like answered, 1. am I overstocked? I think I might be pushing it a bit but I keep up with my PWC's all the fish were added in a 3 week period so Im worried I might be overwhelming the biological filter a bit. 2. will these fish get along? 3. Im thinking about adding a UV sterilizer and a powerhead, are they neccesary? 4. any other advice is apreciated!

Ok so lets start with the fish, i would ditch the Jewels as they are a river cichlid and not a lake cichlid, also you are testing your luck with the Ahli as that is a Hap and not a mbuna. The Hybbrids i would keep an eye on IME they seem to be more aggressive then non Hybrid cichlids. as far as a mini cycle goes just keep an eye on you levels and keep up with the water changes. i dont see any need for a uv sterilzer unless your having an issue with something, only other advice i have is make sure you have plenty of hiding spots

lots of hiding spots, a few extra helps with aggresion(so they say)so do hiding spots, i will be adding a powerhead to my tank, got it now just gotta put it in and see... keep your ph up and gh usually follows close, ph doesnt need to be 8.2, if your tank runs 7.6 the way it is, i wouldnt buy ph up try to get it up a little more that way. mine is 7.6-7.8 and they are healthy and breeding like crazy.

Back
Top Bottom