The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjsans

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello All,

I'm a new member but an old fish enthusiast. I have had fish in my home for most of my 62 years. I've had everything from a bowl of Guppies to my present 125 gallon African Cichlid tank. I've had fresh, brackish and salt. My favorite is salt (reef), but this was too expensive to set up in a 125 gallon tank and a bit too much hassle when maintained correctly. (I know, I know, labor of love.....) I would love to see a reef tank in a 125 gallon, but this is not my only hobby. I also show and breed long hair Miniature Dachshunds under the name of CinArt. Talk about an expensive hobby. So, I must reach some sort of financial balance, and yes, my Doxies do take the front seat. They may rule the house, but my tank is in the center of the living room. They may rule the house, but my tank is in the center of the living room.

Just one question for now. I just added 8 fish to my tank yesterday. Three are doing the up down, up down, behavior in the corner of the tank. They look like they're on speed. I acclimated them all at the same time in the same bucket. They were in darkness for 12 hours after they were introduced.
At this rate they're going to burn out very quickly. Why all this stress and how do I stop this frantic behavior?

:thanks: Cinda
PS - I tried to post on the introduction page several times without success, so I thought I'd try this page. Hope that's OK.

cjsans said:
Hello All,

I'm a new member but an old fish enthusiast. I have had fish in my home for most of my 62 years. I've had everything from a bowl of Guppies to my present 125 gallon African Cichlid tank. I've had fresh, brackish and salt. My favorite is salt (reef), but this was too expensive to set up in a 125 gallon tank and a bit too much hassle when maintained correctly. (I know, I know, labor of love.....) I would love to see a reef tank in a 125 gallon, but this is not my only hobby. I also show and breed long hair Miniature Dachshunds under the name of CinArt. Talk about an expensive hobby. So, I must reach some sort of financial balance, and yes, my Doxies do take the front seat. They may rule the house, but my tank is in the center of the living room. They may rule the house, but my tank is in the center of the living room.

Just one question for now. I just added 8 fish to my tank yesterday. Three are doing the up down, up down, behavior in the corner of the tank. They look like they're on speed. I acclimated them all at the same time in the same bucket. They were in darkness for 12 hours after they were introduced.
At this rate they're going to burn out very quickly. Why all this stress and how do I stop this frantic behavior?

:thanks: Cinda
PS - I tried to post on the introduction page several times without success, so I thought I'd try this page. Hope that's OK.

:welcome: to AA! We hope you enjoy :)

Ok I'm a little confused are they swimming up and down the glass like a school? Or are they chasing and being mean to each other?

If they are not chasing and being mean its normal if they are young and they will stop after time. They won't wear down and I doubt its stress. Africans have a ton of energy, they wear me out just watching them.

high speed Cichlids

No aggression, just rapid, none stop swimming top to bottom. Then they swim across the tank, top to bottom of course, then back to the other corner again. It looks like they're playing tag. I've had Cichlids for a number of years now. Never saw this craziness before. They won't even take a break to eat. The 3 that are doing this are the largest I just bought. (Actually, the largest in the tank) You know, they may have never been in such a large tank before. This could be pure joy. :dance:

Sounds like they are just having fun. I don't get it some do it and some don't.

Joy in the fish tank for more will come lol
I just made that up. Glad I was some help to ya :)

Joyful Cichlids

Yes, thank you! I really appreciate it. I'm the kind that needs a sounding board to work things out in my head. It's also the reason I was so happy to find this site. This is a perfect fit for me.

:thanks: :thanks:

Mine do this when I turn my moon light LEDs on... I have 14 and the will do it all night until I put on the day light... Then they settle down for a few hours and then start over again

Howdy, welcome to the site. :)

They'll settle down once they're familiar with their surroundings. It sounds like what yer seein' is perfectly normal for newly introduced fish.

WYite

Back
Top Bottom