New Member, My Unidentified Cichlid had babies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tuna b.

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I guess this will be my intro and a post with a question, I have been a lurker for a while but never posted. I keep a mixed 80 gallon long tank with SA, Angels, and tetras. I have an unidentified SA cichlid pair and they spawned! I looked at my tank this morning and saw about 30 or so fry swimming an guard of the parents! From what I see they arE mouth brooders, the parents will scoop them up in their mouths and spit them back in to the school if they drift away. My question is what type of cichlids are these? You can see the fry in the pics in the plants. Sorry for the crappy pics they are from my point and shoot, also I didn't want to clean the glass and disturb them with the magnet. Thanks!!

img_1037807_0_b1e528aad7be611608b7950f5f4adca1.jpg

img_1037807_1_803e3382afb2db9ee28ab12058f2ae7f.jpg

I have no lcue and have no time to research but i wanted to tell you they are beutiful.

Awesome, I just got home and have about 15 female gups having babies all at the same time.

I just wish my stubborn angels will actually let the eggs ferment before they eat them.

very beautiful fish, I really would love to have those yellows in my blackwater tank. You dont know the species?

I have no clue on the species, I picked them up from my preferred LFS at 3 bucks each. Not a chain, AllOddballAquatics in Pittsburgh. The owner wasn't there when I got them who I usually chat with and I didn't get the species name

But thanks for the compliments! and I hope I can find out what the scientific and/or common names are!

Possibly a canara pearlspot, but its not african or a new world cichlid, they are asian cichlids. close to what you have in the picture I think, possibly not but this is pretty much the only one I can find that match color and size.

heng_etroplus4.jpg

If it is them you got some rare cichlids.

Awesome reply and thanks! I am gonna be by the store tomorrow for work, I will stop in and get the scientific name and post it for everyone. They are truly amazing looking. I wish I had my good cam to snap some awesome shots for everyone. in the mean time enjoy these. They moved the fry from the plant to a piece of driftwood!
img_1037819_0_3808c937994495a00618d55910f07d9e.jpg

img_1037819_1_ea3d7909b40f05ec5f501393b717fe60.jpg

Lookie whatelse I found

gymno.pp.jpg

Now IMO these look more like yours.

If its this guy then its an eartheater type cich. Do yours move gravel around and root thru it?

Lookie whatelse I found

gymno.pp.jpg

Now IMO these look more like yours.

If its this guy then its an eartheater type cich. Do yours move gravel around and root thru it?

Close looking, mine have a more brilliant yellow and sharper definition between the black and yellow. Also they don't move the gravel around. The smaller one actually acts like a clown and uses one of the plants as host.

this is strange other then africans the SA's and asians are far and few with yellow and black.

Yours have a black skull cap and the others I am finding dont other then the paso.

whatever it is its a nice looking fish. I hope you get your answer but if not in due time you/us/anyone can find it. I was just quickly looking them up but I got a cichlid expert at work I will show him this post tomorrow and have him chime in.

this is strange other then africans the SA's and asians are far and few with yellow and black.

Yours have a black skull cap and the others I am finding dont other then the paso.

whatever it is its a nice looking fish. I hope you get your answer but if not in due time you/us/anyone can find it. I was just quickly looking them up but I got a cichlid expert at work I will show him this post tomorrow and have him chime in.

Thanks for the info. Any chance they could be a hybrid of some sort? I don't think so but ya never know.

Very possible that they are hybrids.

But hybrids are two seperate species not the same species, possibly just a mutt fish. Call em a U.S. cichlid. LOL

I believe you have a Yellow Convict. The genus/species is Archocentrus nanoluteus aka Cryptoheros nanoluteus.

Here is a google search result: here.

If they are anything like regular Convicts you can expect many more fry. :D

They are beautiful fish though! Better looking than the regulars.

O man dead on Kristin. I believe she got it guys. Are you gonna sell the fry once grown? I might want a couple. Everything i read says they are peaceful.

I would be happy to sell some once they grow out, however I have never shipped fish before and don't know the first thing about it. If someone could point me in the right direction I would be willing to give it a shot.

On another note, I have a 10g QT set up and would like to move them over with the parents so they dont get gobbled up. What is the best way to catch and move the fry? I presume netting them won't work....

Also, what would be a fair price to sell these for and at what size is good to sell them? If I don't sell them to other members I will probably see about trading them to my LFS for store credit. Thanks!

i have tried to trade or sell to my local lFS and they would not let me thank god i live in a big town and still looking to trade off alot of my guppies that keep breading

Back
Top Bottom