New rocks and shells

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kado

Aquarium Advice Activist
Was wondering if rocks, shells and driftwood collected from the beach is ok for my mbuna tank. I've read about boiling it all first and was just after some opinions and advice. Cheers

Rocks and drift wood is a yes but boil it to clean it. But I've heard many people and sites say no to shells but I think I'd get a second opinion on that.

Cheers mate. Wasn't sure on the shells myself either. Thanks for the help

DO NOT PUT THE ROCKS DIRECTLY INTO THE THE BOILING WATER, poor the hot water on top Of the rocks in a bucket, and let sit

Ok! Done some more reading and apparently it can be quite dangerous to boil the rocks because some have the potential to explode. According to a forum on google about boiling rocks for aquariums. Interesting to know. Guess pouring boiling water over them or drying them in the oven first is a good alternative.

Yes DO NOT boil rocks. Some rocks are porous and trap gasses. When those gasses become super heated they will cause a reaction. The reaction is to explode as it get gets super heated. Do yourself a favor and don't do it.

Yeah cheers nathanpopp. Just saw your post. I was on another site reading about what can happen if you boil them. Seems a lot of people get away with it tho
Thanks I will pour the water on for sure :)

Back
Top Bottom