New set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mlani

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey :)
We have a new tank that's in the process of being cycled. It's a 46gal hexagon tank. My son really wants ciclids, I'm not sure if the tank is suitable for them. We have plants and rocks and logs with a gravel base. So hiding spots there's plenty but is the tank large enough to sustain them when they're full grown? We have another tank thats a 65 gal but I have my community of fish in there and they are quite happy so I don't want to put any more fish in it. Also we've had oscars in the past that lived to be 12 years old and they got quite large, does anyone have any recommendations as to which ciclids would be ok in the 46gal set up?

A hex is a hard tank to fill And Unfortunately ones like Malawi wont work, they require atleast a 4 foot tank. As do most other. Maybe some shell dweller cichlids or kribs? Maybe even rams but jm not are about the specs as I don't have any of these 3. Oscars def would not work, but would in your 65 if it was th e only one. Good luck.

Hi there,

Unfortunately a hex tank leaves out a lot of fish due to the tank shape and dimensions. ARLC are out, and so are most SA cichlids.

You could try a pair of dwarf cichlids as said, some kribs, African butterfly cichlids, angelfish, shellies, or keyholes. A single fish or a pair could fit in there IMO.

I have a feeling I'm going to have a disappointed little man. He really likes the colors and the movements of the cichlids. I'm not ready to give up my 65 for him though. Is there dwarf versions that might be able to hang in the hexagon? It's a little over 2 feet tall.

I was writing as you were posting. I'll have to look up the fish you've mentioned and run them by the little man. Hopefully they catch his eye. Thank you for helping me get a starting point.

If you're looking for colorful cichlids, research GBRs and cockatoo apistos and philippine blue/koi/marbled angels. All are very colorful cichlids IMO.

Ah, thank you. I'm learning so much from just the short time I've been a member. My husband isn't going to like this, I'm going to get all kinds of great ideas on how to spend more money. Lol also IMO?

Mlani said:
Ah, thank you. I'm learning so much from just the short time I've been a member. My husband isn't going to like this, I'm going to get all kinds of great ideas on how to spend more money. Lol also IMO?

IMO= in my opinion. And it looks like they bit! ;)

Lol! Yes it does.. Thank you again everyone :) now I have some researching to do on all the suggestions. I'll let you know what the outcome is. (what the boy decides he likes) if anyone thinks of any more feel free to post them as a stay at home mom I have tones of time to find the best ones for this tank.

It really depends. The plants would get eatin by them but they need room to swim I had a buddy keep 3 of them with a bunch of Tanzanians and they did all right

So update on which fish we chose :)
We have 5 electric blue tetras,One spotted catfish, And three rams, what kind of rams I'm not entirely sure the LFS didn't even know.. I do know they're pretty and my son loves them :)

Mlani said:
So update on which fish we chose :)
We have 5 electric blue tetras,One spotted catfish, And three rams, what kind of rams I'm not entirely sure the LFS didn't even know.. I do know they're pretty and my son loves them :)

Pics? Would love to see em

I'll post some now, they'll be Cel phone pics though. Maybe you can let me know what we ended up with?

Here we go. The flashy one was making it difficult. Lol I think we could be in trouble two of them seem to be fighting already :-(
The last pic is the "stand off"

Attachments

• image-216181832.jpg
    image-216181832.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 89
  • image-1264736104.jpg
    image-1264736104.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 84
  • image-3800109459.jpg
    image-3800109459.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 85
  • image-2565009694.jpg
    image-2565009694.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 89
Thank you! What's the third one though? Or do we have two of the same? That might explain the stand off? Should I be worried about that or do you think they're just proving dominance for their "spot" in the tank?

The ones that are facing off are the same (German blue) and they could both be male they could be establishing territory or fighting for dominance keep an eye on them they should be fine wait 2 days and determine then they should have things figured out by then

Back
Top Bottom