New 'shell' fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Enki

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got my new shell dwellers today! Lamprologus ocellatus 'gold'.

I stopped by the LFS on my lunch today, just to see what's new in the tanks mostly. I was checking out the little ocellatus group and feeling bad for them.

The tank they were in had quite a few fish, all small, but lots of them and all cichlids too. It was obvious they were pretty stressed. My friend who was there with me commented that they would probably be happier in my tiny 10 than where they were now. I decided I agreed with him.

I took the 2 yellows that have been in the QT back to the LFS, and took the set of 6. The LFS owner even gave me 15% off since I was taking the group. Well, that and a little haggling :D

I Put some sand and shells in the QT, and they seem happier already. They are all still really little, under 1" so I am hoping aggression issues will hold off until I can get the 30 running Saturday.

I took 1 quick shot of them and it turned out pretty well actually:

Lamprologus_ocellatus.JPG

Wish me luck!

Oh lord, I'm gasping for breath. Those L. ocellatus are absolutely beautiful. They remind me a lot of my little dwarf puffers proportion- and color-wise. Oh lordy... I gotta, gotta get some.

Thank you for posting such a wonderful picture, Enki. And...ENVY!

lol, I saw that first video on another thread where you posted it. Funny stuff. The 2nd vid reminds me of how my cat Noah slaps anything that makes noise and vibrates, like my Sonicare toothbrush, a beard trimmer, etc.

Congratulations! I saw the pics come up for photo approval and I was so excited - I know you are going to love these little guys. I am hoping my shellies will get shipped this weekend (hint, hint, Voodoo Chilli :wink: )

I cant believe that I just watched video of other peoples fish. There is no turning back now.

WoooHooo!

My equipment for the 30 that I ordered from Drsfostersmith.com arrived today! The USPS beat the crap out of the box, but it was well packed and all seems to have come thru fine! Gonna get the xp1 running on my 50 at lunch today to start building up a bacteria colony. The pro-heat heater looks nice too. Can't really play with it all as I am still at work :D

I ordered Sunday night on the webpage, they shipped Monday and it arrived today. I have an amazon.com order I placed many days previous to this one and that hasn't showed up yet, so props to the good doctors!

Alright! The 30 is up and running with the 6 shellies in there, looking happy and healthy!

Pics soon of the whole setup :)

This is so cool, you are bound to get a nice little family going, and in that size tank the next generation can set up shop. Have they started rearranging the substrate yet?

They have been trying, but I have been messing with them :D

To help keep aggression down while they were crowded into the 10 (small footprint 10 BTW 18x8) I was moving shells around every day, so the whole dance of everybody checking out all the shells was being constantly repeated. nobody had time to really pick a shell and start landscaping. There was a little digging now and then but not much.

Now that they are permanently in the 3' 30 gallon with tons of shells and a sand bed about 4.5" deep, I should see plenty of digging soon!

Now that you mention it, I might want to add a bit to my sand bed, which is only about 3" or so. I have been waiting so long for mine to grow out I have to live vicariously through you!

That is quite a phenomenon--videos of fish and fishtanks with swing-jazz and techno soundtracks!! I wonder if they have a section for those in my wacky neighborhood video store!

Of course, you're getting me interested in these Lamprologus guys, now!

**Ireilly** You took the red pill--there's no way out of fish fever. See my signature line... :wink:

Back
Top Bottom