New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patrick_Fish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Am looking in to get four new cichlids. What kind would go good together and make a nice fish family?

Rlavassor86 said:
What size tank? You want SA or African?

I have a 20 gallon tank. I think I can only put 4 fish that tank. And I don't care what ever they sell at petsmart and will go good together!

um id find a local fish store, you can have much larger selection that way.

Patrick_Fish said:
I have a 20 gallon tank. I think I can only put 4 fish that tank. And I don't care what ever they sell at petsmart and will go good together!

In that size tank I would stay with something like a bolivian ram or German Bly ram. They are great looking fish with tons of personality. You could do a group if four in that tank. Are you going to be putting in live plants? The pics are of bolivian rams. They are a little easier to keep than the German.

Attachments

• image-3851514698.jpg
    image-3851514698.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 102
Rlavassor86 said:
In that size tank I would stay with something like a bolivian ram or German Bly ram. They are great looking fish with tons of personality. You could do a group if four in that tank. Are you going to be putting in live plants? The pics are of bolivian rams. They are a little easier to keep than the German.

Could you get these at a local pet store or no? "petsmart"

Patrick_Fish said:
Could you get these at a local pet store or no? "petsmart"

I'm not sure about petsmart I only have petco around me probably same thing. I have seen them there before but I bought mine from a fish only LFS. Only place ill shop cus they actually know what they're talking about. But yes they are a pretty common fish usually between 5-10 dollars each depending on size and store

They do carry them at petsmart. Remember that any rams like ph range to be 6.2 to 7. They can be sensitive to nitrate also so keeping the water nice and clean is your best bet!

phishfriend said:
They do carry them at petsmart. Remember that any rams like ph range to be 6.2 to 7. They can be sensitive to nitrate also so keeping the water nice and clean is your best bet!

Are they on the petsmart website?

Patrick_Fish said:
Are they on the petsmart website?

I didn't see them under S.A. Cichlids. But I have
Seen them in all of the local petsmart in my area. Which is like 5 locations. I would say
If they don't have them in your local store. They should be able to order you Some.

phishfriend said:
I didn't see them under S.A. Cichlids. But I have
Seen them in all of the local petsmart in my area. Which is like 5 locations. I would say
If they don't have them in your local store. They should be able to order you Some.

Thank you! Will go check next week.

ForumRunner_20121118_181115.jpg

ForumRunner_20121118_181134.jpg

ForumRunner_20121118_181151.jpg

My 55 g cichlid tank.
1electric yellow male
1blood dragon male
4 blood dragon offspring 2 males 2 female
2 flamebacks male and female
2 masoni peacocks unknown sex
1female peacock unknown type
The female unknown is the mother to my offspring

Now that you say that I do have 1 and she is very tiny and hides alot...my bad...I forgot about her....lol

ForumRunner_20121118_200418.jpg

I did not read that he had a 20 gal but I think demasoni only get to 2 to 3 inches long, so a couple would be fine.

Douglas4701 said:
I did not read that he had a 20 gal but I think demasoni only get to 2 to 3 inches long, so a couple would be fine.

My demasoni is at least 4 inches long. IMO I wouldn't keep mbunas in anything less that a 4 ft tank.

demasoni are some of the most aggresive cichlids and in a 20 that would be catastrophic, please realise that this idea will utimatly make the fish die. A group of rams or a pair of kribensis, apisto, ect... would be the ops best bet

Back
Top Bottom