New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwhit13

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just purchased a new 120 gallon tank for home. It is the 4 foot long by two feet wide and two feet high variety. I currently have a 40 gallon b with a peaceful tropical community and a 55 gallon that I only recently started converting to an Mbuna tank. I am going to move those guys to the new 120. So being that it is a brand new aquarium i was hoping to get some input from you guys on different stocking and set ups . Def want to do this correctly. As of now i have two Emperor 400 filters (going to switch one of them for a cannister filter soon). I ordered 120 pds of jack black cichlid substrate. The Mbuna I currently have are 4 electric blue johanni, 4 red zebra, 3 Blue Acei, 2 red top zebra, 4 yellow lab and 3 Auratus. I am not sure but will prob leave the 55 as an Mbuna tank as well to help me get my stocking in order. What kind of stocking or decor would you guys suggest?

Def big rocks and plenty of hiding places ..

http://youtu.be/H0o6SKNHQGA

This vid helped me out .. Now I'm no expert and I'm sure other people will chime in.. At the end of the day it's your tank and your vision .. As far as stocking .. I have electric blue johannis & red zebras they get along fine .. Ppl say you want to over stock them to keep aggression down ,, I'm not over stocked but close to it .. They seem pretty peaceful for the most part ... But don't just take my word on it ... Anyway good luck with the tank .. Post up some pics when you get it all set up

125gal Oscar , 56gal African Cichlids , 10gal ???, soon to buy and set up 75gal Central American Cichlid tank

that is a great video. I was actually watching that last night and kind of using it as a guide. I have a bunch of Cichlid caves and stones already and was starting to see if i can find some good rocks around the house to use. Yeah so far mine seem to get along too, a little chasing here and there but nothing to bad, of course there all still very young right now

Well remember if you use rocks around house be careful on what types of rocks ... And boil any rocks you find .. I think I seen a thread about that on this forum somewhere lol ... I'm still new to this site.

125gal Oscar , 56gal African Cichlids , 10gal ???, soon to buy and set up 75gal Central American Cichlid tank

Well remember if you use rocks around house be careful on what types of rocks ... And boil any rocks you find .. I think I seen a thread about that on this forum somewhere lol ... I'm still new to this site.

Don't boil rocks#! They cam explode and send razor sharp fragments flying through your kitchen, use a bleach or vinegar scrub, or pour boiled water over them in a bucket or sink..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Don't boil rocks#! They cam explode and send razor sharp fragments flying through your kitchen, use a bleach or vinegar scrub, or pour boiled water over them in a bucket or sink..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Said I was no expert , but on a side note I've never had this happen ..

Yea not safe to boil. If there is an air pocket near the surface it will expand and could blow fragments in the air

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was researching that a few days ago and read about rocks exploding. Definitely not worth the risk. I have a couple soaking right now and was just going to do a bleach water scrub then pour the boiling water over them.

Back
Top Bottom