New tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Molson_28

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just got a 90 gallon. Wanna stick with mbuna I already have a mbuna tank but it's a 46. So.... I am going to move the 6 cichlids from that tank to the bigger one. It's 2 yellow labs, 2 kenyi and 2 blue zebra. Just wanted ideas from people on rocks, tank setup, filtration (I'm probly going with the Fx6). Also most important a stick list how many and so on.... I know I want white top afra in there but that's the only certainty. Thanks for any feed back I'll be posting pictures when it's up

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Stock list*

The fish will really love the bigger tank! As for rocks slate is good but I prefer huge dark rocks and make valleys and such but be sure to have caves. You could put some plastic plants in to give it a natural feel. As for fish I like red emperors. Ob zebras rusty cichlids yellow tail acies and love red fin boryolis I'll post a pic of him later

I am of the same mind. I love big dark rocks the look of them with algae growth and all that. Where would I go to get them though? Would you mix peacock and mbuna?

In a 90 I believe u could get away with the mix. Go look outside near clean sources. Streams are a good place. Rock quarry's are amazing to get great deals on big rocks also.

Thanks for the help man.

I just did the same..upgraded my 55 gallon mbuna tank to a 120. I used alot of lace rock with a bit of texas Holey Rock on mine. Used eco complete african Cichlid substrate with a black background. I love the way it looks now.

Do you have any pictures???

Cool man thanks

That's awesome man tons of places to hide for the fish and the rock in the middle I like. So many people just stack slate or whatever and leave it all with swim throughs. Cichlids need caves you have a nice set up man. I was thinking of doing pure holy rock like 100 lbs

Thanks I appreciate that. I actually did spend some time researching and looking around to plan it out. I love the holey rock. I was originally going to go with all that but man setting this up cost some serious money already. I agree with them needing caves. I noticed when they were in my 55 they liked the closed in caves much more than the overhangs. I am assuming its a security thing for them.

Ya that's what it is. You're right about the holy rock. Guy quoted me at 4 dollars a pound. I need about 100lbs so that's gonna hurt lol. But I figure bite the bullet and go all in. How many fish do u think a 90 gallon can hold. I was thinking around 25

yeah thats pretty much what I did, my cheap bargain buy from craigs list 120 gallon has now set me back going on 2 grand ugg.
Ive read all kinds of differing opinions on how many but all agree more is better. The most ive heard is one fish for every two gallons of water assuming they are Mbuna . For my 120 I was thinking of going up to as many as 45-50 and seeing how that goes. right now im at 32 and it at times seems empty lol. I think (and i'm NO expert) you would be good with around 35 ? Again thats if there an mbuna averaging around 5 inches. Is the 90 gallon a 4 foot or a three foot long tank? if its only 3 feet then Id cut that back quite a bit as I know more floor space for caves makes plenty of room for more cichlids....that same source said you should count the bigger haps or peacocks as two as well as the synondontis. I just added a featherfin to mine last night and hes a big boy for sure.

Ya mine is just over 4 feet long. It's tall too so I'll use the back wall and stack the rock high. Mbuna are amazing that way, you blink and the tank disappears. 125 is a good size man keep posting pics and when I set mine up I'll do the same. You on YouTube or anything?

awesome, I think a four foot opens up all kinds of possibilities for us both. This is still kind of a work in progress for me trying to figure out the differing possibilities. Right now Im messing around with some ghetto style lighting just to see how diff amounts of light effect it before i splurge on a new lighting system. No you tube or anything like that. I have a facebook and twitter but thats about the extent of my social networking lol. I like the idea of what you're saying building them up across the back , would force them more out in the open when they aren't in there caves

Ya exactly. I find my tank now they all stick to the bottom because that's where the rocks are. They are only half way up the tank so half the tank is wasted. When I set up the new one I'm going to make sure I go close to the top so they'll swim up there. Also want to build the back high so it leaves the front of the tank open. I want to show lots of sand too. I guess you learn from previous tanks what you like and don't like. And what you think would be better for the fish. I'm more into making them feel at home rather than just having a good looking tank

Thats where I'm at too, I am wanting to see how big , colorful and healthy I can make the fish instead of the tank. I do think there is a balance in there somewhere to though. I dont know if we ever will figure out that perfect set up , we will always keep tinkering. Just when I think I know how I want it, I read something from you or someone else here, or see a youtube video and I start changing the way I look at it

Back
Top Bottom