new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nitrous

Aquarium Advice FINatic
k i started my tank on saturday october 29 and then on sunday i put in 2 chiclids idk what type but 1 is yellow 1 is white and i have a 20 gallon tank with a heater, airwand/airpump/ filter and a hood/light is this all good. i added the recommended dosage of salt when i started it and i am adding the cycle bacteria stuff once a week is this all good and when can i add more fish?

Welcome to AA! First what cycle stuff are you adding? If you mean the cycle brand it will not help cycle your tank. You need to wait probably 4-8 weeks before adding more fish. Salt is not necessary for your tank. What you do need is a testing kit, I'd receommend an AP master kit, test your water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Once your levels are nitrate 10 ppm, nitrite and ammonia 0 ppm. Until then no more fish should be added. Also depending on the type of cichlids you have they may be too big in the long run for your tank. If you can post pics that would be great. I hope this isn't overwhelming info and once again welcome to AA.

You need to buy a test kit that will monitor your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. That will let you know how your water is, when your tank is cycled, and when it is safe to buy more fish.

As far as the fish you have in there now.....you need to know what type of fish they are. There are tons of cichlids and they have different requirements as well as different compatibility issues. A 20 gallon is small for most cichlids though there are some that will do okay in your tank. Figure out what you have then others will be able to help you better.

Also you may post pics of your fish to help with ID.

So much for my post.....I basically repeated everything Zagz said. Must be good advice then :mrgreen:

idk the bottle just says cycle an d says reduces fish loss. also i have a test kit 1 that tests for amonia and other tests for ph nitrate nitrite alkalinity and hardness should i test it 2day to see what will happen and then wait to add more fish and what kind of food do u suppose for chiclids, at my pet store they sell cheap 30 cent shrimp that are live and crawl on teh bottom will these be any good for my tank? meaning the chiclids will eat them?

talloulou said:
So much for my post.....I basically repeated everything Zagz said. Must be good advice then :mrgreen:

It is good advice and LOL for ONCE I was the faster poster. I've learned everything I know from yourself and the other members of AA. It is a great place to be!

Test your water and post your results. If your tank isn't cycled you will have to wait awhile before adding more fish, especially cichlids. Plus you don't want more fish till you understand the fish you have now....do you know what the heck they are yet?

It will be alot easier to advise you on how to feed if we know what you're feeding.

The pics are blurry, but they are both African Cichlids. On the first one, I would need to see a better pic to distinguish what it is but if I had to give a guess, I would say a male Maylandia Estherae.

The second one looks like a (Common Name) Snow White. (Scientific name) Pseudotropheus Socolofi Albino. I see some red on the eyes, but it could just be the bluryness.

Click on the links that I posted with the Scientific names and let me know if they appear to be the same as what you have. If so, you will need at least a 55 gal tank. All African Cichlids (except Shell Dwellers) require a 55 gal +.

i have a 20 gallon now and yes the white 1 does have red eyes and ill tr to get a better picture
thanks for ur help
and sorry for the quality it was a webcam picture :?

Back
Top Bottom