New Tank - Compatibility Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Desacrator

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I am on the verge of getting a 60 gal tank, and I'd like to know if I could get this line up of fish. I know the general minimum for Oscars is ~55 so I was hoping to squeeze in a couple of other fellas. I asked a similair question ahile ago and the feeback I got was that 2 convicts(not paired) with a single oscar could do fine. Can convicts be kept alone?
1 Tiger Oscar
1 Convict Cichlid
1 Parrot Cichlid

Thats pushing it to far in my opinion, a single oscar is pushing the limits of good water quality in a 60 but with another large fish like a parrot is way over the top. Not to mention any aggression issues from the oscar.

Oscars are prone to HLLE which is caused by poor diet and water conditions. Even a single oscar can foul the water quickly causing high nitrate levels which lead to the disease. Even with a oscar and lets say your female convicts your going to have 1-2 weekly water changes of 40-50% to keep nitrates at a acceptable level of 20ppm.

Back
Top Bottom