New tank setup. Cichlids possibly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccross

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm in the process of cycling a 15 gallon tank that I bought yesterday. I would really like to keep 2 or 3 cichlids (or even just 1 if need be) in it. Any ideas would be appreciated. Please take a look at the video and let me know what kind of changes I'd have to make. Thanks!

You can have shellies in a 15 gallon tank. They stay small and pretty much stay close to their shell homes. :)

You could do a single ram provided its a long tank and not a tall, another option is dwarf gourami. Either of these with a small school (5-7) of neon tetras or another small schooling fish would be fine I would think. Unfortunately a 15g doesn't really leave many options or room to play.

I've never kept shellies but have always found them fascinating. I may put some in my 55g when I move my frontosas into a bigger tank. If you want a unique fish that's probably your best bet, if your anything like me you probably love showing off your tanks and what would be cooler than fish living in old snail shells.

Shellies are definitely fun to watch, they have complex social behavior, and since they are a colony type fish they work out well in groups rather than just a few specimens. I have a few in my 15 now, I ended up thinning them down to 4 adults because I think that the adults were eating each other's fry. Either way, since I have done that, in the past few months I've noticed little baby shellies claiming some of the previously empty shells.

Shellies are definitely fun to watch, they have complex social behavior, and since they are a colony type fish they work out well in groups rather than just a few specimens. I have a few in my 15 now, I ended up thinning them down to 4 adults because I think that the adults were eating each other's fry. Either way, since I have done that, in the past few months I've noticed little baby shellies claiming some of the previously empty shells.

Anything special I need to know about shellies before I get them? Do they prefer the tank any certain way? Where do I get shells for them to occupy?

I use cichlid sand (aragonite sand mix) to raise the hardness. I actually got my shells from the craft shop (yeah, I'm lazy, I live 15 miles from the gulf of mexico). Just make sure they aren't painted or anything. You can also use escargot shells, they work really well.

Have a look on youtube at some of the shelldweller setups to get an idea.

Back
Top Bottom