New thread asking for knowledge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Only200

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok I didn't mean to steal someone else's thread but I am asking where did most of you obtain your knowledge on how to identify cichlids. The amount of knowledge in which some of you have amazes me where did you learn this books, Internet, school? I would really like to learn more so I'm asking all you fish gurus to assist me or just point me in the right direction thank you all

Only200 said:
Ok I didn't mean to steal someone else's thread but I am asking where did most of you obtain your knowledge on how to identify cichlids. The amount of knowledge in which some of you have amazes me where did you learn this books, Internet, school? I would really like to learn more so I'm asking all you fish gurus to assist me or just point me in the right direction thank you all

This site is is a great resource to gain a lot of knowledge plus books and the Internet just remember the advise given and put it to good use

Thank you and yes sorry for earlier this is my first fish forum I have search the Internet and I own two books but still having issues with the differences in the lakes working on it I really care about my tanks and species making plans for a costume acrylic tank trying to figur out full stocking for a well balanced natural habitat all the stores around me just call assorted they don't specify names or locations for example they have convicts maxed with yellow Labs (some of the only two I can name) ill keep searching thanks again

I started keeping fish long before the Internet so frequent trips to the library for books was where most of my early knowledge came from. The biggest impact for me was fish clubs and swap meets, this lets you interact and communicate ideas with aquarist like yourself. I'm very fortunate to have some outstanding clubs with members who take trips to collect all over the world, there is nothing better than first hand information about locations snd habitat. Plus anyone in a club knows sometimes that new fish just keep getting passed around club to the point that know one wants them anymore but this aspect of our club is a major bonus, since they collect from Central and South American, Asia, and the Rift valley so our swap meets and monthy meetings are extremely interesting. So besides reading books and searching Internet sites go out and find a club and if there isn't one then start one, you'd be surprised how many people that share passion love to talk about it, god knows after 18 years of marriage my wifes tied of hearing about fish. Here is one of the clubs I belong to among many:

Home

Last edited:
HUKIT said:
I started keeping fish long before the Internet so frequent trips to the library for books was where most of my early knowledge came from. The biggest impact for me was fish clubs and swap meets, this lets you interact and communicate ideas with aquarist like yourself. I'm very fortunate to have some outstanding clubs with members who take trips to collect all over the world, there is nothing better than first hand information about locations snd habitat. Plus anyone in a club knows sometimes that new fish just keep getting passed around club to the point that know one wants them anymore but this aspect of our club is a major bonus, since they collect from Central and South American, Asia, and the Rift valley so our swap meets and monthy meetings are extremely interesting. So besides reading books and searching Internet sites go out and find a club and if there isn't one then start one, you'd be surprised how many people that share passion love to talk about it, god knows after 18 years of marriage my wifes tied of hearing about fish. Here is one of the clubs I belong to among many:

Home

So true she looks at me with an empty stare when I start my fish talk lol local clubs are a lot of fun we have two here and we have meet and greets, auctions, swap and shops it's a lot of fun even the wife enjoys it

That's awesome. I need to look into a club. I enjoy talking fish with the customers at work, but most of the time I'm explaining the nitrogen cycle to noobs. Which certianly don't mind doing, but its nice when a fellow cichlid keeper comes in. My girlfriend thinks I'm obsessed. She's probably right.

nicosia31 said:
That's awesome. I need to look into a club. I enjoy talking fish with the customers at work, but most of the time I'm explaining the nitrogen cycle to noobs. Which certianly don't mind doing, but its nice when a fellow cichlid keeper comes in. My girlfriend thinks I'm obsessed. She's probably right.

My lady thinks the same, and i know she is right. Lol. I learned alot from cichlid-forum.com. they have some great fish articles and profiles.

There are some great books on the market, depending on what fish you want to keep. Get online and sign up to east Anglian cichlid association forum and cichlid forum.co.uk great resource from people in the hobby.

What you can't find out in books or on the net, you can ask on here or the above mentioned forums.

I'm very lucky as both me and my wife enjoy the hobby, and both enjoy African cichlids. Awesome!!!!! Lol

I primarily use books vs internet. I feel real authors do research to have a book published vs all of us nobody's just posting whatever on the internet. I usually use internet to further explore something. Love this site tho, but books get my vote.

mohican said:
I primarily use books vs internet. I feel real authors do research to have a book published vs all of us nobody's just posting whatever on the internet. I usually use internet to further explore something. Love this site tho, but books get my vote.

I love books but local clubs have mt vote personal experience is knowledge

Back
Top Bottom