new thread on Lake Malawi set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'd like to talk more about Lake Malawi fish. I'm thinking of a 110 now b/c the footprint is the same as a 90 but I get 20 more gallons.

My new list is:
Labidochromis caeruleus (Yellow Lab)
Copadichromis borleyi (Yellowfin Borleyi cichlid)
Otopharynx lithobates (Aristochromis red top)
Sciaenochromis fryeri (Electric Blue, Ahli)
Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" (Acei cichlid)
Protomelas taeniolatus (Red Empress)
Aulonocara stuartgranti (Ruby Red, Rubescens)

Now the Acei is a herbivore and considered a mbuna so I don't know if this presents a problem so far as feeding. Liveaquaria says it is an omnivore. Red Empress is a herbivore haplochromine so I'm hoping it is not as hard to feed as a mbuna. I've chosen the red peacock because of aesthetics and b/c I wanted another red.

Once again, can I create a good Malawi community with these fish I've chosen? I've narrowed the list from the previous one b/c of what I presume to be problems with availablity of some Malawi cichlids. Should I be able to get most of these fish fairly easily? Are there some other species I should consider?

i'd strongly suggest new life spectrum series of pellets. i've heard nothing but good things about it. but be careful not to overfeed - one of the principle causes of bloat. and if you are feeding with this, nothing else is needed (BTW, i'm not a salesman :wink: ) .

the choice of fish looks pretty good to me. i'd suggest visiting www.bluegrasscichlids.com and talking to eddy, the owner. unless you have a very reputable lfs, with knowledgeable people, the chances of getting the fish you want is pretty slim (i know for a fact that my lfs knows squat about cichlids). also, the haps cost a lot more when bought as adults. so, what most people (unless you are ready to shell out some big bucks :wink: ) do is, buy them as juvies and grow them up together. that, way, compatibility is also better ensured. you can watch them color up. they do take some time to grow up, but the transition is said to be worth a lot. and young fish ship well. but feeding them with NLS ensures fast growth.

but this is all from my perspective, and i wish to follow a similar line of thought when i set up my 75g (i don't know when :roll: ). i'd suggest taking the opinion of other members also.

Hot dog tetrin! That site rocks! I'll be bothering those guys a good bit if things work out!

I'll vouch for that brand of pellets. I use it and can tell that the fish coloration has really brightened up and they look very healthy.

thanks dax. i'll be ordering from him too when i do order. and i think he'll be able to comment a lot better on your fish selection than i ever could.

BTW, i have no idea how fishy got hold of her wonderful collection. i'm really really jealous on this matter :mrgreen: (both the BIG tank and the gorgeous fishies).

It took patience and searching to find the fish that we have. :D I found a GREAT lfs in STL that specializes in Lake Malawi Cichlids (Malawi Aquatic is the name of the store) and they get in TONS of species that I've never seen before. I was like a kid in a candy store. Too bad we were almost completly stocked and were there to get the Cobalts and Acei's. That put us to our max. But there were so many rare species that were wild caught that looked AMAZING but we just didn't have the room for them.

I have now. Thanks again. I'll look into the 120 gallon. It's wider but shorter than the 110. The length was more of an issue so the 120 may work better. The 120 is heavier than the 110. The 110 I figured would weigh around 1,230-1,250 lbs depending on the amount of rocks that I put in. The 120 would weigh at least 1,344. But it may be spread out more because the tank is wider. The wider-shorter space would make it easier to decorate too.

Wait a minute, the 150 gallon high has the same footprint as the 120. This is getting out of control, but I like it. :twisted: I'm getting more concerned about my floor though. Now I'm up to 1,500 lbs.

The 150 high has the same footprint of two 55 gal tanks with one in front of the other. It's 48 inches long, 31 high, and 24 deep.

I have it in the living room but it's on a slab floor. Sorry, I didn't see the second page before posting.

I've had my 55 with cichlids now for about a month and a half. I am now definitely in the hunt for a larger tank. ( I thought my other hobbies were addicting ) 8O
I'm on the lookout for a 120 or a 150 to house my cichlids and convert the tank that I purchased for my wife into a planted tank with some more peaceful residents that she will enjoy. I find the cichlids very interesting and want to keep them going now that the aquarium bug has got a hold of me. :twisted: Good luck with your larger tank and keep us posted on your progress. I am looking in the classifieds, yard sales, and ebay for my 120-150. Madness I say, Just madness.......

So you have a 150 high Fishy? That sounds like the one I've seen advertised. It is 48X24X30. Is that as good as the regular 150 which is 72X18X22? It sure is hard to find room for a 72" long tank. As for you rhansme, truer words have never been spoken. :wink: I too have become enamored with all cichlids and I'm thinking of going cichlid-only. They seem to have much more personality and intelligence than other types of fish.

Yes I have a 150 high. It's actually 31 inches tall. I like it better than the standard 150 because you can bunch stuff together instead of spreading it out. You can have large formations but still alot of swimming space. That's just my opinion though.

Cichlids are very intelligent. They know when its feeding time, they know their owners, they will let you pet them (if trained to do so), will eat out of your hand, and follow your every move as you walk past them.

along with the qualities fishy mentioned, i'd like to add -
a highly evolved social structure.

and an almost foolproof method of fry-raising which involves take care of them when they are the most vulnerable.

love these guys.

Back
Top Bottom