new to cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Red44

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I new to cichlids I'm used to saltwater tanks and I have been looking at my 90 gallon freashwater tank it geting really boring and would like to start a cichlid tank I just have a few questions I would to keep my live plants will they eat them? I also have bala sharks,tetras,pleco that I don't want to get rid of will they be alright with cichlids? Also would like to get blood parrots are they fine with other cichlids? Prob have more questions later on thanks

I think it's gonna depend on which kind of cichlids you decide to go with. As a general rule, cichlids are aggressive, some more so than others.
Other than the parrot fish, what cichlids are you considering?

Red44 said:
Hi I new to cichlids I'm used to saltwater tanks and I have been looking at my 90 gallon freashwater tank it geting really boring and would like to start a cichlid tank I just have a few questions I would to keep my live plants will they eat them? I also have bala sharks,tetras,pleco that I don't want to get rid of will they be alright with cichlids? Also would like to get blood parrots are they fine with other cichlids? Prob have more questions later on thanks

What kind of tetras do you have? Also some species of cichlids will eat plants but some are piscivores and will leave them alone , cichlids basically come in all shapes and sizes and their diets vary alot too. What are the diminsions of your tank? That will make a big difference in what you can keep in there :)

Also the bala shark will get huge so if you are going to keep them long term you need to think about the bioload if choosing a cichlid. I saw bala shark full grown that someone had to bring back to the LFS because it was too big for the tank, it was 16" long.

Lady_Alia said:
I think it's gonna depend on which kind of cichlids you decide to go with. As a general rule, cichlids are aggressive, some more so than others.
Other than the parrot fish, what cichlids are you considering?

I saw at my fish store I work at sells ***"t cichlids some are bright blue I like two that had a name were the yellow eletric cichlid and red zebra cichlid

darkmatter_3500 said:
What kind of tetras do you have? Also some species of cichlids will eat plants but some are piscivores and will leave them alone , cichlids basically come in all shapes and sizes and their diets vary alot too. What are the diminsions of your tank? That will make a big difference in what you can keep in there :)

I only have one tetra left he's pink sorry I don't no the type my diminsions are 48"L 18"W 25"H

darkmatter_3500 said:
Also the bala shark will get huge so if you are going to keep them long term you need to think about the bioload if choosing a cichlid. I saw bala shark full grown that someone had to bring back to the LFS because it was too big for the tank, it was 16" long.

That's huge, I have three and had them sense 2008 4 years and their about 4-6"

I have gravel but would like to switch to sand but don't want to spend alot would play sand be fine? And how many pounds? (100ibs)

The balas might not max out then , sometimes fish do not get near their max size due to alot of reasons, it happens all the time, if they are 4 and only 6" you should be safe. As for cichlids they might not show much aggression towards the non cichlid species.

The cichlids you described wanting are malawi lake mbunas and are not recomended to be kept with anything other than like species of mbunas. I can tell you from my own experience that this general rule should be followed so rehoming your other fish should be considered if your serious.

Cichlid Kid said:
The cichlids you described wanting are malawi lake mbunas and are not recomended to be kept with anything other than like species of mbunas. I can tell you from my own experience that this general rule should be followed so rehoming your other fish should be considered if your serious.

Ya I rather get more colorful type than the new worlds I guess I'll have to rehome my other fish do the mbunas eat plants? Or be able to be kept with blood parrot fish?

Yes they do eat plants.
Actually most of their diet is made up of plants although their not strictly vegatarian.
Most anubias plants are safe with mbunas but other plants will be eaten IME.

Red44 said:
Ya I rather get more colorful type than the new worlds I guess I'll have to rehome my other fish do the mbunas eat plants? Or be able to be kept with blood parrot fish?

I do not know about the africans but it sounds like they will not do well with Blood parrots but there are a few New World Cichlids like female festae, viejas, salvini, gold & red severum that have alot of color but if color is what you really want then go all african.

Agreed. Its a crap shoot either way. Its up to you to either roll the dice or not take a chance.
If your attached to your parrot like i am some of my fish then i wouldn't chance it. "BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY" :)

A nicaraguen cichlid pair would be a safer bet with your blood parrots and they become very colorful as they grow, they are not very aggressive but do hold there own if picked on. They also have great attitudes and interact with their owners.

If you go to aquamojo.com you can see what alot of the New World cichlids look like when fully grown and showing their colors, they have great pics of New Worlds.

Cichlid Kid said:
Yes they do eat plants.
Actually most of their diet is made up of plants although their not strictly vegatarian.
Most anubias plants are safe with mbunas but other plants will be eaten IME.

Wow the only plant that I had sense I started about 6 years ago is anubia plant and it's huge now the others I don't care as much thanks

Back
Top Bottom