New to cichlids :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
I officially ventured my way into cichlids on Saturday (yesterday). As much as I love my LFS, I am a bit annoyed with them. After talking to them and having them recommend fish too me, I did more research today and came to realize a few things.. Crucial things I wish I would've been told in LFS. So as of now (the stock will be changed asap) my stock includes in my 55g:
3 (what I was told and sold red zebra peacocks come to find out they are...) maylandia zebra
3 yellow labs (1 I figured out today is probably a hybrid as it has no black on the dorsal fin to speak of)
2 chilotilapia rhoadesii
1 kenyi
1 electric blue johanni
2 albino BN pleco's.

At LFS I was told the rhoadesii's would get 6 inches max.. After research online I found out the get 9 inches... And I'm sad to part with them as one of them already has brilliant color that I absolutely love. The kenyi is very aggressive and not a good fit, also love the kenyi's color. And that the electric blue johanni is also another to aggressive fish. After much reading I've done today, I think I've settled on a final stock that I think will work:
5 yellow labs (depending on availability it may be a little while before I get to 5)
5 maylandia zebra (again depending on availability it may be a little while)
5 P. socolofi

What do you all think of my stock plan? My husband is really into this tank as much as I am (even though he doesn't know a thing about fish even after the almost year I've had them), and we would like to keep the color scheme of orange, yellow and blue. And suggestions/recommendations are welcome and greatly appreciated!

Thats okay with number, but IMO I think the maylandia zebra might be too aggressive for your other fish. Most yellow labs are rather peaceful for African cichlids and may be beat up by the Maylandias. I don't know if you'll like them, but maybe you could try Aceis instead. Both the Yellowtail and Whitetail Acei are great cichlids and were pretty peaceful when i had them.

Thats okay with number, but IMO I think the maylandia zebra might be too aggressive for your other fish. Most yellow labs are rather peaceful for African cichlids and may be beat up by the Maylandias. I don't know if you'll like them, but maybe you could try Aceis instead. Both the Yellowtail and Whitetail Acei are great cichlids and were pretty peaceful when i had them.

I'll check them out, I'm still honestly on the fence about the zebras. That's what's throwing a kink in everything honestly. Thanks for the suggestion!

i would pick something else besides the socolofis they can get as nasty as a kenyi.

i would go with aceis, OB's, stuartgrangi, ahli's, jacobferbegi, among many othersthat are more peaceful

Whoever gave you the 3 genus advice is very wise:whistle:, I think the stock list should work fairly well. Remember occasionally you'll run into a hyper aggressive fish that needs to be rehomed, this is somewhat common so don't be terribly surprised of you see this. But remember when the king dies a new one will take his place, and may be less or even more aggressive than the previous fish.

Last edited:
Not all yellow labs have the black ;) they are heavily bred species with several collection points lending to the current gene pool of the captive bred specimens fond here in the states. Just variation within the species :)

Whoever gave you the 3 genus advice is very wise:whistle:, I think the stock list should work fairly well. Remember occasionally you'll run into a hyper aggressive fish that needs to be rehomed, this is somewhat common so don't be terribly surprised of you see this. But remember when the king dies a new one will take his place, and may be less or even more aggressive than the previous fish.

What's your opinion on the socolofi? Try them or pick something different?

What's your opinion on the socolofi? Try them or pick something different?

In my experience they're behavior depends on tankmates, the maylandia shouldn't be a issue but labs may. I'd get them stocking them but with a higher ratio of females such as 1m/5f, as this should help eliminate any aggressive issues.

My only issue right now is the maylandia zebras. I can't decide if that's really what they are. I looked on the profile of maylandia zebra on cichlid-forum.com and I don't think it's the fish I have... So I'm stumped as to what this fish really is, I'm quite honestly getting aggravated thinking its one thing, finding out its another and now being back to not being sure what it is... It's making this a bit frustrating lol. If anyone could help ID it that would be great! I'm about to drive myself crazy trying to figure this out...

YwBjrpM.jpg

Either dragon blood or sunshine. Kinda hard to tell with all the light on him

I googled both dragon blood and sunshine peacock. I believe you hit the nail on the head with dragon blood, the google images look identical to mine. So now I know what this fish is... What are the new opinions of how my stock will be (labs, peacock and socolofi)?

I kept some dragon bloods and they were quite compatible with some Acei and yellow labs, I think they are also a pretty peaceful cichlid.

I am really bummed about having to return my rhoadesii's! They are coloring up more and more and getting that gorgeous turquoise color :( same with the kenyi and johanni, I'm already attached to them as their color!

I need to stop reading... I am doing nothing but confusing myself :( I just can't make up my mind. I want my yellow labs to stay for sure. The peacocks is what I cannot make my mind up on. I've read conflicting info, some say they are ok with labs, some say don't mix the two because (again conflicting info) of aggression. I need someone (or multiple someone's lol) to set me straight. What I want for my tank color wise is preferably yellow, orange, and blue; however I do like the red peacocks and am open to red if that's an option. I really like socolofi or acei, but prefer socolofi over acei.

So I FINALLY made up my mind. After a talk with my husband about it, he said he would rather only have yellow and blue, so the peacocks are on the list to with the kenyi, rhoadesii's and johanni. I'm thinking I may just only do 2 species instead of 3 (as long as it will work, if I need to 3 I'll find another one to add. So I'm thinking my two species will be the yellow labs and socolofi. Good idea or no? Should I find another blue species?

I think it sounds good, just be careful, ive heard socolofi can be aggressive . I think your safest bet is the Acei, plus that has the colors you want, but you can always try socolofi and if it doesn't work, just switch them out!

I think it sounds good, just be careful, ive heard socolofi can be aggressive . I think your safest bet is the Acei, plus that has the colors you want, but you can always try socolofi and if it doesn't work, just switch them out!

I think I read somewhere that acei most times than not dont work in a 55g because their almost to big for a 55g. My husband and I really like the looks of the red shoulder peacocks... Would peacocks be ok with just labs?

Back
Top Bottom