New to cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaJesseBetta

Aquarium Advice Activist
Today I was given a 29 gallon bow front sea clear tank by a co worker I'm not one to pass up a free tank but I was also given 2 cichlids, I know nothing about, can anyone give me and short care description and if anyone can identify these cichlids for me it would be great (I'm also a car guy and don't like not knowing what's under the 'hood' pun intended)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392413420.995788.jpg tank pic
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392413446.369928.jpg cichlid 1
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392413464.600182.jpg cichlid 2

The guy that gave them told me they been in that tank 2 years I figured since they're cichlids like angels 10 gallons a piece would be ok what's a good volume per full grown fish?

+ 1 to this ^^^

A 29 should not be a permanent home for cichlids reaching over 4+ inches. I have the same tank I believe and am currently using it as a grow out for cichlids :)

Nice rock work!! I really think your tank would look good if you centered the rocks, ditched the corny fake plants, and added a black background :)

I'm actually gonna plant it, this is how he has his set up I pick them up in the morning and they'll prolly end up in my 55 planted angel tank till this one gets a good wipe down and planting I was actually thinking about selling the cichlids I'm not familiar with them at all and my angel tank is work enough it may turn in to a planted guppy tank for my daughter if it's ends up being not enough room for the both of them the only reason I took it was cause it was free and came with an eheim canister for a 60 gallon which will end up in the 55 and the hobs I have on the 55 on this one

That's what I've heard 55 or higher I have 2 pairs of angels in the 55 I have now and I'm not really looking at putting anything else in it besides the 2 new cichlids while the 29 is being planted I think this May turn into a fish give away

I'm actually gonna plant it, this is how he has his set up I pick them up in the morning and they'll prolly end up in my 55 planted angel tank till this one gets a good wipe down and planting I was actually thinking about selling the cichlids I'm not familiar with them at all and my angel tank is work enough it may turn in to a planted guppy tank for my daughter if it's ends up being not enough room for the both of them the only reason I took it was cause it was free and came with an eheim canister for a 60 gallon which will end up in the 55 and the hobs I have on the 55 on this one

Ahhh I see. The cichlids will probably rip your angels up. I wouldn't put them together. Would love to see this tank transform into a planted tank. I used to have a planted tank before I rescaped mine :)

Ahhh I see. The cichlids will probably rip your angels up. I wouldn't put them together. Would love to see this tank transform into a planted tank. I used to have a planted tank before I rescaped mine :)

I'll post it here prolly Tuesday if valentine weekend don't break me lol (the wife turns it from a day to the whole weekend)

Yeah they might stay in the 20 gallon plant tank then I would hate for one if my angels to be hurt they're in the living room show tank and ripped fins are as bad as a wall full of algae

So what I'm getting so far is cichlids aren't very community friendly they eat my daughters favorite fish (feeder goldfish) and they are space seeking carnivores sounds like work and money yeah fish give away it is (no offense to the cichlid guys but that's why I gave up on bettas)

Well the cichlids were given up to a petsmart employ she had a 125 gallon with 2 rams a red tiger and a tiger oscar I cleaned the tank mildly planted it and realized it was a 46 gallon after putting in 8 1/2 5gallon buckets of water in it my daughter decided goldfish were going in it and this is what we gotImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392621332.869550.jpg

that petsmart employee isn't smart your fish maybw dead by now way different water peramitors

nice tank tho

I don't know I kinda left it up to her she said the orange one was an aggressive type and both her rams were bully's to the oscars I don't know I'm picking up a few more plants today I'll see if they made it if she's working

Back
Top Bottom