New to cichlids, is this mating behaviour? + ID'S?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sam Buxey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've noticed recently that (not too sure of the id) I think yellow lab without the stripe on its top fin is a female, it has been getting the attention of the males recently. Mostly that yellow male lab with the colour on its fins,I think this maybe due to same breed I'm not entirely sure. I've had these cichlids for about 2 months and I've not seen them doing this sort of behaviour before and I've not acquired any fry from them either. What could I do to get them to mate and produce fry. I'm not a noobie to the aquarium industry, I'm just curious about cichlids behaviour/mating. They tank is 5ft currently stocked with 4 cichlids 2 being yellow labs I believe male/female I'm not entirely sure, other two I'm not sure on the id's. 1 Fire eel and one bristle nose plec.
I would also appreciate if any one could ID these two cichlids as mentioned above! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395285225.692312.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395285241.042036.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395285716.161550.jpg Watch this youtube video for the attached video: AA post, cichlid yellow labs - YouTube

First two are blue johannis and the yellow one is a kenyi or salousi maybe some can clear that up?

The first two pictures is the same fish ?I should have said that, my bad. The third one isn't the best picture I had to snap it from a video. He looks like from what I would describe yellow/orange with slightly darker stripes going down him as you can see, I believe he's a male as he tends to chase of the other males and he's fully coloured also is the biggest out of the 4.

Yeah first 2 look like a male perileucos to me, second I'd also go with male kenyi. The labs behaviour isn't overwhelmingly like mating, the female looks a bit beat up actually, if she's the only female in the tank you need to either make a plan to get the 3 female to 1 male ratio in place or remove her. Sure the male's hounding her but nothing in the video is actual mating behaviour. Shaking vigorously from the male in her vicinity is a clear sign. Quick question: why no substrate? If you trying to get them to breed that'll be a good starting point...

I've only recently acquired them just wanted another tank with a different type of fish as I've herd their fame etc, didn't know anything about them then but now learnt some stuff just curious about what behaviour is normal etc. The female yellow one did recently get into a fight from what my misses has told me when I was at work not too sure who she got into a fight with but when I got home her left fin was nibbled and her tail was nibbled, I've been adding melafix and stress coat + she seems to recovered fine fins are still growing back slowly.. Anything I can do to help?

My recent interest in leaning more about them is because I've changed jobs and now have a lot more free time on my hands so in my eyes that's only more fish time eh! ?

The tank did once have white sand but over time it's lost it due to syphoning etc over 2 year period. I think it's better without substrate but now I have more time on my hands for cleaning it I may purchase some more on my next food run.

I've also done some research and seen I can add another 5 to have a total of 9 before it becomes nearly overstocked, any suggestions?

I've also recently purchased some rockery for the tank to go along with the pipes, maybe this might encourage some mating as I've herd not sure if this is true?

Haha, I know the feeling, more free time always goes to more fish.

The rocks will definitely help, it'll give them more hiding spots at a minimum. The thing with Mbuna is that their natural habitat is very rocky and has a lot of substrate. They spend a lot of their time eating algae off rocks and sifting through the sand for food, beyond that they often use the sand as a base for the mating ritual. The male can often be seen shaking around in a spot and almost clearing an area in the sand for the mating ritual to take place.

There's a bunch of things you could do to make it more hospitable for them. As I mentioned sand and rocks go a long way. The finer the sand the better, pool filter sand is great. Getting your ph between 7.8-8.2 is also very important. Feeding I find is extremely important to this species, I use new era rift lake green and spirulina flakes but nls also does some good food. They love deshelled peas, zucchini, cucumber and nori seaweed. Basically vegetables all round. Stay away from bloodworm, it causes Malawi bloat! I try feed them twice a day to keep aggression down with one day a week of no food to flush their systems. Finally I've noticed they like fast moving water so I've got a small wave maker in the corner that pushes a current through the water.

If you can stick to all the above you'll do great. Oh, not sure what your tank size is but i take the amount of gallons of water (ie tank volume - rock displacement) and divide by 2 to get the number of fish on an overstocking framework.

I see your tank is 5ft, I have a 5ft and have 21 in it (been going for 1.5 yrs and only lost 1, and many successful breeding experiences). I recon you should definitely get more. Try stick with the 1male to 3females ratio. It's a big help for aggression and mating.

Haha, I know the feeling, more free time always goes to more fish.

The rocks will definitely help, it'll give them more hiding spots at a minimum. The thing with Mbuna is that their natural habitat is very rocky and has a lot of substrate. They spend a lot of their time eating algae off rocks and sifting through the sand for food, beyond that they often use the sand as a base for the mating ritual. The male can often be seen shaking around in a spot and almost clearing an area in the sand for the mating ritual to take place.

There's a bunch of things you could do to make it more hospitable for them. As I mentioned sand and rocks go a long way. The finer the sand the better, pool filter sand is great. Getting your ph between 7.8-8.2 is also very important. Feeding I find is extremely important to this species, I use new era rift lake green and spirulina flakes but nls also does some good food. They k love deshelled peas, zucchini, cucumber and nori seaweed. Basically vegetables all round. Stay away from bloodworm, it causes Malawi bloat! I try feed them twice a day to keep aggression down with one day a week of no food to flush their systems. Finally I've noticed they like fast moving water so I've got a small wave maker in the corner that pushes a current through the water.

If you can stick to all the above you'll do great. Oh, not sure what your tank size is but i take the amount of gallons of water (ie tank volume - rock displacement) and divide by 2 to get the number of fish on an overstocking framework.

Thanks for the reply, yeah I've seen and herd that in dark crevices is where they mate etc. I've have seen some of the males shake vigorously sometimes looks like their vibrating haha but clearly but male to female ratio is abit of, today I am debating stocking some more encourage breeding and hopefully stop the fin nipping for good even though I haven't witnessed it for a fue weeks so I think it was a one off thing. I don't actually own a working water testing kit right now as mine has ran out but before it did run out my water parameters were perfect I didn't need to add no salt nor buffer. I will be getting a new one today so I can check water prams just to make sure it's all still good.

I try not to feed my Malawis blood worm but ofcause I feed my fire eel blood worm and they do sometimes have a small nibble but I'd see it as nothing because they've normally eaten before I feed him up. Maybe starving them for a day a week will be sure that their not bloating on bloodworm and it's flushing through their systems, by all means they seem perfectly happy and healthy Malawis I'm also feeding them tetra prima it's sort of looks like small chips of larva rock and orange looking they seem to like it, it's what the fish shop recommended to me when I got them. I do feed my plec cucumber slices fue times a week but the malawis also enjoy it too.

I have a fx5 output on one side of my tank and a uv steriliser the other side of the tank I do notice they like to swim against the current haha. I am going to look more into feeding as to brands etc and I've also seen that they love home made food so I may look more into this subject. Thanks Sam.

Sounds good. Yeah good luck. I don't think the odd nibble of bloodworm will cause a major issue. I don't really know the tetra prima stuff but a good check is to see the protein content. Anything above 45% is a bit high, more green than red for Mbuna. The vibrating's a good sign. I don't use much conditioning myself but my tap water comes out an 8 so I got lucky. I do add some Malawi lake salts but that's by no means essential. Looks like you on the right track to having some happy cichlids. Enjoy.

First two are Johanni, not perileucos and the third may be a male Kenyi. I can't see the video, so can't advise you on that. Rocks you definitely want, sand isn't required.

Back
Top Bottom