things are moving along slowly, and with a bit of frustration. While the tank is clean, there are water marks that nothing I have tried has even dented. Curse of the used tank I guess. At this point I am resigned to ignore them.
Decided against using the tile background as I cannot get absolute confirmation they have not been dyed or treated in some other way. After looking at some of them I'm not even 100% sure any more they are not some sort of concrete product. Plus, a lot of the other broken statuary type stuff I was thinking of using for decor I'm a bit more leery about putting in with fish.
Good think I have always liked a plain black background. It IS a really good look anyway, so I went ahead and painted the back black.
Laying in some very basic under gravel piping and jets, pretty much just creating 2 water outlets at the 2 corners away from the filter box end. All that is rough cut and partly assembled. probably going with sand as a substrate. I like sand as it is pretty easy to clean and the funk does not get down deep into it. I may change my mind though as I shop around more.
All the old lighting stuff has been ripped out of the hood and while I'm thinking of going LED
still, I may just go with some compact fluorescent bulbs. I looks to be the easiest and cheapest way to go.