"New" used tank predicament

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Niki

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I will be getting my larger tank next Saturday, however, I have a little predicament.....Do I go with tank A or tank B :huh:

Tank A)

$150, $200 with stand.

75 gal tank with glass top
T8 light
HOB filter
Dimensions 48" L x 21" H x 18" W
5 minute drive from my house

45920-albums2580-picture16773.jpg

Tank B)

$100 includes stand

55 Gallons
Filters 2
Lights
Thermometer
All the accessories (plants, decorations, water preparation kit, net, etc.)
Dimensions 4 Feet x 1.5 feet x 1.5 feet
30-45 minute drive from my house

45920-albums2580-picture16774.jpg

Please help!
:thanks:

I'd say def75 gal.... Looks like better lighting as 55 looks to just have a 24 inch bar in it and filters look small too... Plus the extra 25 gal is always better! It's a little deeper and wider than 55 so does
T take up much more space :)....

Go for the 75, I would offer 100 bucks for the stand and everything. Bring cash. Stand is homebuilt, nothing wrong with that just not worth 50 bucks IMO

The tank in the second picture looks like a breeder... either a 40 or 50. Doesn't look 4' long IMO. If it is a breeder, I'd take it over the 75 for $50 less. A 55 would be 48x21x13

Thanks again guys, I think I am going to go for the 75G, bigger tank more fish I have loads of room for a big tank( i am concerned about doing water changes as I have not owned a tank this big).

I will be paying cash for the tank and will try to get it cheaper :)

Very excited for Saturday!

Water changes are like any other tank...Just take more and longer. If you dont have a python you need to either get on or build one...Its a must

I agree wholeheartedly. When I got my 75, we got an attachment for our Python (I call it the Python condom). It's a little piece that pops onto the end of the unit and it's got a grid so that no fish can accidentally get sucked up the Python. This way, I can start the water change and, because it takes a while, I can do other stuff in the house while the water's going down and I don't have to babysit it. I've got sand substrates so don't do "gravel vacs". ;)

Interesting!

I was just wondering bc I usually let my water sit in buckets for a few days to let the chlorine disappear. I prefer not to use chemicals for this such as prime, as I don't see it necessary if ages water is the same end result.

In that case a python dosent help. If you end up with a 75 I would use prime and a python. It would just be so much water for you to haul and have sitting around. 75's evaporate quickly, You will have water sitting around alot because of top offs. Dont forget that prime has a lot more benifits than just chlorine removal. Im not telling you what to do...Just suggestions.///Good luck

Interesting!

I was just wondering bc I usually let my water sit in buckets for a few days to let the chlorine disappear. I prefer not to use chemicals for this such as prime, as I don't see it necessary if ages water is the same end result.

God bless you if you choose to do water changes on a 75 with buckets..... :angel:

Jmedic25 said:
In that case a python dosent help. If you end up with a 75 I would use prime and a python. It would just be so much water for you to haul and have sitting around. 75's evaporate quickly, You will have water sitting around alot because of top offs. Dont forget that prime has a lot more benifits than just chlorine removal. Im not telling you what to do...Just suggestions.///Good luck

Lol I understand your not trying to tell me what to do, I am asking for advice :)

can you tell me what some of the benefits are of using prime?

There's no waiting period for the Prime to take effect.

You don't have to have 10 buckets of water hanging around your tank at all times.

Your spouse/child/dog won't trip over the bucket soaking the floor, which means no one gets injured, which means hundreds of dollars that you might have spent in the ER can now be spent getting more fish stuff.

See? It's a win-win.... (y)

There's no waiting period for the Prime to take effect.

You don't have to have 10 buckets of water hanging around your tank at all times.

Your spouse/child/dog won't trip over the bucket soaking the floor, which means no one gets injured, which means hundreds of dollars that you might have spent in the ER can now be spent getting more fish stuff.

See? It's a win-win.... (y)

:lol: those would be valid reason only I have a"cat" room that I store the water in (the only disadvantage I see if hauling the water arund).

are there any fish benifets? healither scales? better colors?:fish2:

Prime also helps with keeping up on the slime coat for your fish.. I use it with every water change,your fish will thank you in the end...

Really? This is definitely beneficial! I just couldnt justify spending the extra money on something that I thought ONLY removed chlorine. (not saying I am cheap, but I thought it was a waste)

When I get my larger tank next week I will start using prime/or equivalent when doing water changes!

Would my fish have a problem going from no prime to all of a sudden having this in the water, should I get them use to it?

Prime detoxifys, Ammonia, nitrates, chlorine, and chloramine. It helps with the slime coat as stated. It basicly makes the water perfect for fish. IMO dont put anything else in the water other than prime and salt. If you need a buffer add that also but that depends on the fish your keeping. Also for the money prime is the best because it takes half a capful to do 20 gallons. The stuff saved a guys tank on here yesterday...I swear by that stuff. Its the only chem. I use. Check this out
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f100/90-gal-tank-ammonia-problems-176306-3.html#post1631674

Back
Top Bottom