New world vs. Old world?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishfanatic16

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just curious how you all feel about New and Old world cichlids. Which do you think is better? Why?
I prefer New world myself.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407021362.721304.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407021382.685802.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I like New Worlds myself due to their color and personality. Don't have any currently but I may get a 40 gallon breeder soon with Apistogramma Panduro or Viejita in a black water set up. Although it's kinda like the Playstation vs. Xbox argument; it will never end and everyone with Playstation will say Playstation is best and vice versa with Xbox. Although Playstation is better :p

I like your analogy... Btw yes play station is MUCH better lol... South/Central American cichlids, the ones I favor anyway, such as oscars, convicts, etc. Are larger and more graceful. PLUS they remind my of dogs!!! Lol

Convicts aren't a South American species ;) I'm really not a fan of the "new world" label, as South American and Central American species are extremely different in most cases. It's like grouping the rift lake cichlids with the west African riverine. They're completely different. With that being said, I prefer a wide variety. I like my tanganyikans a lot, but Malawian cichlids do almost nothing for me. I do like Victorian but probably wouldn't keep any. I'm not huge on west African, but I like them more than Malawian. The Asian species i do like, but wouldn't keep. Madagascan I would like to keep some day. Centrals I like, especially the smaller genera like cryptoheros, as well as herichthys especially. South American will always have a soft spot in my part as they seem to have the widest range of personalities and temperaments, as I typically prefer peaceful cichlid species and more subtle coloring, as well as interesting behavior, a reason I really like geophagus and satanoperca species

I'm really happy with my Malawi mbuna tank, but I like them all! I keep going around for my next tank on whether to do get an Oscar/JD, a tang tank, a discus tank, or a salt water tank. My tap water is hard and pH is 8-8.2. Not sure I want to deal with bringing it down for new world. Not sure I want to pay for salt water and deal with ro water. Not sure I want to do daily water changes for discus.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My brother and I have this argument all the time as he has all African Cichlids and I've got all South Americans. I love my little Apisto's and the Geo's are so entertaining to watch. That said, there are some amazing African cichlids, mostly from Tanganyika. I really like the Purple Lufubu Tropheus

Yeah, I'm basically South, central Americas and Tanganyika (which I will always love)

I PREFER SA they tend to be mellower , but I had rift fish and there is always something happening in the tank , they are both good and a matter of taste

I think Central Americans just ahead of South Americans. I have a mixture of both, but I no longer keep any from anywhere else. My favourites list would be; Jack Dempsey, Salvini, regular Rams, Oscar and the cryptoheros such as Sajica, Cons and Panamensis. I'm also fond of Severums and the Thorichthys family.
Never been into Africans really, apart from a few of your standard W Africans that I used to have such as Jewels, Butterfly cichlid and Kribs.

I prefer New World to Old World because New World seem to be more diverse.

Back
Top Bottom