Newbie to Cichlids, apisto questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlazerFRS

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello,

I presently have a 10gal tank that's sitting empty. I'd like to try some apistos ; I plan on following one of the 10gal 'cookie cutters' from cichlid-forum. I imagine these stock lists would be appropriate? The tank will be moderately planted.

My main question is about feeding; what diet should I feed a pair of apistos? I imagine flake food only would be inadequate? The tank's last occupants were dwarf puffers, who ate only frozen bloodworms. The daily frozen food is a hassle I wish to avoid if possible.

Any tips you have would be appreciated.

Thanks

I feed mine NLS community pellet food, freeze dried foods, flakes and some frozen as a treat. They like a lot of cover to feel safe as well as few small caves. I love them, great fish.

A varied diet is great for tank raised Apistos as most of them are raised on flake or pellet, but in the case of wild caught species frozen or live food is best as most of the time they have to be nearly starved before they start to accept it. Do you have any species specificly in mind?

Thanks for the tips everyone,

I was thinking cacatuoides, as these are attractive and the most common, so they will more easy to find when I set up my tank. I've seen some nice specimens of agassizii as well. I'm open to suggestion though.

Cacatouides are great .In my opinion the best starter Apistos you can buy. They readily accept all types of foods, and one of the few that that do so wild caught too. Like VC said one male with multiple females is best.

Is a 10G enough space for 1 male and 2 females?

The Cichlid forums 'cookie cutter' suggests a M/F pair and a few white clouds or zebra danios. Are they using these as dither fish? Are apisto's shy enough to warrant dithers?

Another question, most sources seem to suggest a sand substrate for apisots,. I was planning on using eco-complete, think that'd be an issue?

Thanks for your continued feedback everyone!

The dithers aren't really necessary with Cacatuoides they are rather out going for Apistos. A pair would probably be best for a ten gallon in the case that they spawn it will avoid the death of the female that did not spawn. As for substrate use your preference, the sand is just easier for the fish to move around as they make a bed for the fry at night.

If you can find them may,I suggest a few Pygmy Corys and Ottos for house keeping.

Yes, a 10g will be large enough for the trio, but you will have to stay on top of your water changes. All Apistos need excellent water quality.

With the exception of a few species, dwarfs are harem spawners. They do not pair off. Males are constantly looking to breed, so having only one female per male results in a stressed and exhausted female that usually doesn't last for very long. You NEED at least two females per male.

BlazerFRS said:
Is a 10G enough space for 1 male and 2 females?

The Cichlid forums 'cookie cutter' suggests a M/F pair and a few white clouds or zebra danios. Are they using these as dither fish? Are apisto's shy enough to warrant dithers?

Another question, most sources seem to suggest a sand substrate for apisots,. I was planning on using eco-complete, think that'd be an issue?

Thanks for your continued feedback everyone!

A 10g tank should be enough especially if it is decorated with lots of plants, rocks and driftwood. You want to break up the sight lines so that your females can hide from unwanted attention.

I also suggest pygmy cories and otos as tankmates. They won't bother any apisto fry at all.

I've used both Onyx Sand and Eco-Complete Planted Aquarium substrates in my apisto tanks. Either works although the Onyx Sand does buffer the tank to a slightly higher pH. You might want to consider the new Flourite Sand that Seachem has just started shipping.

Also check out the ceramic fish breeding rocks at www.cichlidbreeding.com. I think they are great.

Back
Top Bottom